PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-install only gives me 2 options?!

cesman
08-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've tried knoppix-install on a few different machine, but it only seems to work on one. In must case I only get the two options.

1.partition
2.quit

On the one where it does work, I get all the options, partition, install, load, save and quit. The oddity is on the systems where it doesn't work, I have to kill the installer to get out of it.

Any ideas?!
cesman

aay
08-03-2003, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure what the cause of this is, but I recently experienced the same thing. Knoppix-installer worked fine as I was working through it the first time, but during this same first time through I had to kill the install. When I restarted it with the knoppix-installer script - the only options for me were to partition and to quit. I was in a hurry so I ended up using the old knx-hdinstall to install.

cesman
08-03-2003, 03:28 AM
I think it is a hardware issue on one of my test systems. I've since tried on a laptop and my main workstation and all appears normal.

cesman

mike
08-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Yes maybe its a hardware issue, but there´s a workaround (worked for me anyway) Do the partitioning in cfdisk and quit, start knx-hdinstall and format your swap partition, quit and start knoppix-installer and you should see all options.

Regards
Mike

aay
08-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Sounds good. Thanks Mike.

08-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Don't think it can be a hardware issue. First time I did the install on my laptop, I got the four options. Second time I did it, same machine , I got only two options.
With regard to the swap partition, perhaps it's worth pointing out that it's a good idea to fix the size you want before hard disc installing from the cdrom. Knoppix will use any swap partition it finds and while it is being used the size can't be altered.

bongski55
08-06-2003, 11:48 AM
I also fot the 2 options while using BOTH knoppix-installer and knx-hdinstall the reason is that "the disk does not contain a valid partition table"(see my related post on this). this does not happen on version 0606.
I think it is the new kernel.