PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Help

lodo
08-03-2003, 12:20 AM
I have d/l and burnt to disk Knoppix. I have been reading abit about Linux and seeing as though I'm not crazy about XP, I wanted to give it a try. The 1st thing I see while booting from disk is Error, only 1 processor found. Then it goes on to install and boot up no problem. After the desktop comes up, there is a blue box in the upper center of my screen that says "mode not supported". This cant be gotten rid of. But everything seems to run ok. I can get on the net and surf ok with there browser, but its not sized right. Either is the desktop. Any ideals? I really want to learn abit about this OS. Thanks

aay
08-03-2003, 02:21 AM
Try booting with the following cheat code: "knoppix nosmp" This will tell Knoppix to only look for one processor.

-------------
edit
-------------

Actually I guess it will tell knoppix to not try and use the smp functionality of the motherboard....which will effectively tell it to stick with one processor :-)

Stephen
08-03-2003, 02:25 AM
You may also want to try the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) vga=normal.

lodo
08-03-2003, 03:19 AM
The Knoppix nosmp cheat took care of the processor error, and then I changed resolution to 800x600 which took care of the sizing and the mode not supported problem. Im using Knoppix right now. It feels good to be using a open source OS. I have gotten use to MicroSoft like most, but I could go on and on about how much I dislike their policies. My surfing speed seems slower though. I am on broadband. Are there any posts concerning this that someone could point me too? Do you get better speed with a actual install of Linux to the HD? Thanks :D

fingers99
08-03-2003, 04:49 AM
My surfing speed seems slower though. Do you get better speed with a actual install of Linux to the HD?

Impossible to be specific: if you could post your modem type and/or the type of broadband you're using, maybe someone could give it a shot.

Are you sure it's just not a perception (with the surfing/downloads): it might be an idea to do a benchmark against the download of a particular file.

I'm not sure (later on) whether you mean "better speed" as in faster downloads or better speed as regards general operation.

Speed of operation seems to vary a great deal according to your set up: in theory HD should be faster (at least on disk intensive operations) if only because a hard drive install allows you to do some serious tweaking.