PDA

View Full Version : X and run levels

cesman
08-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Hello Everyone,

I remastered Knoppix, but I've lost the ability for X to be configure and start after a hard drive install. I've looked in various place in order to solve this, but I'm at a lose. Any clues? Also, how can I dictate what daemons get started. I'm referring to /etc/rcX.d/. What I want to get started start when booting from the CD, but again are lose after a hard drive install.

Thanks in advance,
cesman

cesman
08-04-2003, 01:01 AM
Problem solved! Fabain was able to help me on the IRC! You must modify the knoppix-install script to get what ever daemon you want started. To do this, you'd modify the script below:

chroot "$TR" su $USER_NAME -c mkdesktopicons

Here is an example:

chroot $TR update-rc.d daemon defaults

Will add which ever daemon(where daemon is the name of the daemon you want to start), it will place it in all run levels. So, it you wanted to start Apache:

chroot $TR update-rc.d apache defaults

If you want one daemon to start before another:

chroot $TR update-rc.d apache defaults 30
chroot $TR update-rc.d mysql defaults 35

Will ensure mysql start after apache. If you only want a daemon to start at a specific run level:

chroot $TR update-rc.d mysql defaults 35 5

Will start mysql only on run level 5(X). The problem with X not starting was due to my oversight.

cesman

aay
08-04-2003, 02:38 AM
I'm lazy and have been using kxconfig rather than editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Run kxconfig as root and you sould be able to make your modifications there. Otherwise you'll need to edit the aforementioned file by hand.