PDA

View Full Version : Monitor and Font Problems

merlin
01-16-2003, 08:13 PM
I just changed monitors from an HP 19" to an Hitachi CM751 19". Now the fonts are unreadable!

Is there any way to specify the monitor and/or video card from within Knoppix? I have changed most of the screen fonts to Bookman (from the default Helvetica) to make them semi-readable, but why the differences just because I changed monitors?

I am adding screen=1280x1024 at the boot prompt, just as I did previously.

Thanks!

Rixel
01-17-2003, 02:15 AM
This may be due to a difference in how the other monitor deals with the refresh rate. Check your monitor specifications for the max refresh at that screen size and use xvfresh=##

This may fix your problem.

merlin
01-17-2003, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I tried xvrefresh=75, which is the refresh rate I use in Win 2000 at 1280x1024 resolution, but the fonts were still garbled. The fonts were fine with xvrefresh=60, but the screen flicker was awful!

If I simply press enter at _boot, Knoppix will go into 1024x768 mode and the fonts and refresh rate are fine, but everything is too big for my taste.

I am wondering if there is a way to specify my particular monitor at startup, or to change the monitor and resolution from within KDE?

BTW, Knoppix correctly detects my Matrox G550 video card and uses the mga driver.