PDA

View Full Version : recover knoppix desktop

marlinswin
08-03-2003, 04:33 PM
When using dselect, I accidentally removed the x display manager and kde desktop, and I am left with a console login after reboot. What are the packages necessary to recover the nice display manager and desktop? How can I recover them?

Thanks!

cesman
08-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Have you tried apt-get install kde?

Stephen
08-03-2003, 07:14 PM
apt-get install xserver-common xserver-xfree86 kdm kdebase kdelibs4 should get you most of what you need, you may have to dpkg-reconfigure kdm to set it to start on default. You may also need to install some fonts for the xserver if it removed them but it will give you an error telling you what to install when you startx.

joekm
08-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Did and "apt-get dist-upgrade" and negelected to read the warning messages. Wound up loosing KDE, KDM, gcompris, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Was going to just save everybodies settings to my archive partition and reinstall Knoppix, nVidia drivers, qcam drivers, mplayer, etc. If I can just recover it, that would work to.

joekm
08-05-2003, 04:22 AM
Did and "apt-get dist-upgrade" and negelected to read the warning messages. Wound up loosing KDE, KDM, gcompris, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Was going to just save everybodies settings to my archive partition and reinstall Knoppix, nVidia drivers, qcam drivers, mplayer, etc. If I can just recover it, that would work to.

Looks like I was able to get most everything back fairly readily with "apt-get -t unstable install kde" and regrabbing lost software as I find it.

Only remaining problem is that my autofs seems to be borked.