PDA

View Full Version : Kernel panic - reiserfs

tarAnta
08-03-2003, 08:00 PM
I recompiled kernel 2.4.21-xfs to include raid0 and md modules, I installed lilo, after reboot I obtain this error:

/modules/reiserfs.o: kernel module version mismatch
/modules/reiserfs.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.21-xfs
while this kernel is version 2.4.21
FAT: bogous logical sector size 0
FAT: bogous logical sector size 0
md: swapper(pid 1) used obsolete MD ioctl, upgrade your software to use new ictls
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:00

The system has 2 hard disks with 3 partitions with raid 0 fs:reiserfs, swap partitions and a ext3 /boot non-raid partition
I recompiled source of knoppix 2.4.21-xfs kernel not 2.4.21 vanilla version, then I don't understand the error.

Please help me to boot the system.

Thanks.

robk
08-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Hi,
did you run "make modules modules_install" from /usr/src/linux after kernel compilation ?
I would compile the reiserfs and ext3 support directly into the kernel (or at least the filesystem used for the root-fs). Otherwise you'd need to have an initial ram-disk (initrd).

good luck

tarAnta
08-03-2003, 10:20 PM
I compiled the kernel with the live-cd mounting the root partition in /mnt/root/

My banal doubt is:
How run "modules install" in this root directory tree mounted under /mnt/root ?

bongski55
08-04-2003, 07:54 AM
I had the same problem before and the reason was that reiser file system was compiled as a module. Try to modify your new kernel config by putting a 'y' to lines containing 'reiser'in the file system section of the config file. then do another kernel compile.

tarAnta
08-04-2003, 06:59 PM
Ok, done.

But how can I run "make modules_install" if my /dev/md0 (raid0 reiserfs) - the root filesystem on hard disk where I compiled the kernel - is mounted under /mnt/root of live-cd fs?

I tried to chroot to /mnt/root but many commands doesn't run, maybe because environment paths still reamain the same of live cd.