PDA

View Full Version : Wine broken in 3.2???

arkaine23
08-03-2003, 10:07 PM
I keep trying to run a console application (folding@home) in wine while booted from the Knoppix CD. I've run F@H this way many times in SUSE, Redhat, Mandrake, and Gentoo with no trouble whatsoever, having installed wine via rpm or portage. In all cases, I have never once had to configure wine.

When I run knoppix, this winesetuptk gui app runs and says I have to configure it, so I take the default autoconfig it comes up with, and stick it in /home/knoppoix (ramdisk). I've also tried changing a few options in the config as well with no luck.

Wine exits with an error code 1 after spitting about a bunch of stuff about font metrics and about no nt.dll found in my .wine directory or anywhere else.

Should I remaster and try a different version of wine? Is it ok if I reconfigure a new wine on the system? Would it then be able to run in ramdisk when booted from the CD, even on other machines that have different hdd partition schemes or no hdd's at all? Just how much does wine's config depend on knowing what and where hdd partitions 's are? I'd like to just get it going to run this one text-based app from the CD- even if I sacrifice other functionality.

Finally, why is wine broken in knoppix 3.2 when booted from the CD? I have searched and stumbled on others with the same sort of errors that I'm seeing on the machines I've tried it on....

aay
08-04-2003, 03:26 AM
As far as the font metrics error goes, copy your windows fonts into .wine/fake_windows/Windows/Fonts/
I've gotten this error before and doing this seems to take care of it. This is a recent bug as applications that I run under wine used to work fine, but now require me to have the fonts moved into that directory before they will run.

gregg451
08-04-2003, 05:40 AM
I would not say wine is broken in knoppix 3.2, I just got finished playing red alert 2 with a 3.2 cd and a dell (NT4.0) machine.

arkaine23
08-04-2003, 06:25 AM
The machines I've tried to run it on have no version of windows installed, and/or have no hard drive.

I'll try copying a few of my windows fonts over- but this will reside in ramdisk so I'm trying to go for a small footprint in the .wine folder....

The console program I'm trying to run only uses two fonts, so I'll try just those at first, and add more until I get one that makes this error go away.

If that doesn't help, I'll get dirty and try remastering with an older or newer version of wine, and get rid of that gui config app.