PDA

View Full Version : /dev/dvd not found

aay
08-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I've just installed Knoppix to a new desktop and I get a message that /dev/dvd is not found when I try and use mplayer to watch DVDs but I can open and view individual .vob files.

Since I am able to use mplayer to look at invidual .vob files by navigating into /dev/cdrom, I believe that I should be able to get this to work. I did a ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it was pointing with the idea of creating a symlink from /dev/dvd to that same location.

When I ran ls -l /dev/cdrom, I got the following reply.

/dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

I then tried this:

ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd, but I get the same error message that /dev/dvd is not found.

I also tried ln -sf /dev/hdc /dev/dvd, but again I get the same error.

I then used ls -l /dev/dvd and I got this: /dev/dvd -> /KNOPPIX/dev/dvd

It looks like /dev/dvd is pointing to the location that would be appropriate when running Knoppix from the CD, but now that it is on the hard drive things need to be updated. This should be simple enough, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

rickenbacherus
08-04-2003, 09:27 PM
sudo rm /dev/dvd

ln -s /dev/dvd /dev/scd0 (or /dev/scd1 if your dvd drive is a second cdrom).

HTH

aay
08-05-2003, 04:35 PM
This is strange.

If I run a "cdrecord -scanbus", I get the following info back:

0,0,0 0) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1402' '1010' Removable CD-ROM

The dvd should be located at scd0. But when I do a ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd, I get the same error as before.

Now if I rm -f /dev/dvd and do ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd, then I no longer get the message that /dev/dvd is not found but "Can't open VMG info!"

I thought that this might be due to permissions so I made sure that premissions for /dev/dvd and /dev/hdc were set right. Still got the same error message.

Then I decided to rm -f /dev/dvd and do ln -s /cdrom /dev/dvd. This actually works, but only if I have /cdrom mounted. I'm used to dvds automounting. This isn't too bad, but I'm at a loss to explain why the other didn't work. I'll still take suggestions if you have any.

rickenbacherus
08-05-2003, 05:34 PM
Since you're using scsi emulation you can no longer refer to drives as /dev/hda (well not in this case anyway) but rather /dev/scd0.

aay
08-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Since you're using scsi emulation you can no longer refer to drives as /dev/hda (well not in this case anyway) but rather /dev/scd0.

Right, but I made a link to /dev/scd0 and that doens't work either. I've got an idea of what may be wrong, but I can't check it out till later. I'll post back info when I've got more.