PDA

View Full Version : knoppix errors

laffer
08-04-2003, 08:28 PM
I burned my cd, booted up my PC and it loaded. Im like ok this isnt bad, i get to the boot: prompt, and i just enter through it.

The OS begins to load, and i get the error: Only one processor.

The OS continues to load, and when i get to the chick that says "Initiating start sequences" it echos (kinda like a skipping cd) and she gets hung on the last S sound and just says that over and over again while there is a black screen. I have already checked md5 sum and i have disabled PnP in BIOS. I know my burn works because i am using knoppix right now on my work computer, its what im using to type this

any help is much appreciated, i would really like to get this running at home. thanks

Stephen
08-04-2003, 09:19 PM
I burned my cd, booted up my PC and it loaded. Im like ok this isnt bad, i get to the boot: prompt, and i just enter through it.

The OS begins to load, and i get the error: Only one processor.

The OS continues to load, and when i get to the chick that says "Initiating start sequences" it echos (kinda like a skipping cd) and she gets hung on the last S sound and just says that over and over again while there is a black screen. I have already checked md5 sum and i have disabled PnP in BIOS. I know my burn works because i am using knoppix right now on my work computer, its what im using to type this

any help is much appreciated, i would really like to get this running at home. thanks

Have you tried any cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes). I would suggest at the boot: prompt knoppix nosmp noddc there may be a couple of other you may want to try like just failsafe at the prompt.

aay
08-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Hmm. Regarding the one processor error use the "knoppix nosmp" cheat code when you boot. You may need to play around with some of the video/screen cheat codes as well.

laffer
08-04-2003, 09:29 PM
at the boot: prompt, how do i enter more than one cheat code? do i seperate with commas or semicolons or what? if i put in only one command and hit enter it loads with only that one code.

Stephen
08-04-2003, 09:41 PM
at the boot: prompt, how do i enter more than one cheat code? do i seperate with commas or semicolons or what? if i put in only one command and hit enter it loads with only that one code.

Just put them one after another seperated by a space you can put up to 256 characters IIRC on the command line..

laffer
08-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Cool thanks guys! I'll try it when i get home

cvig
08-04-2003, 11:13 PM
I think the processor error is normal for a machine with ACPI. I get it on both a new IBM at work and my old Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop at home.

Regarding your problem -- I would look for ways to disable the sound card. It sounds like either a bug in the driver or a hardware conflict. Possibly change the BIOS so that PNP is turned off? Disable sound in BIOS or remove card from computer. There may be a way to disable the sound via a "cheat code" but I don't know of one at the moment.

laffer
08-05-2003, 05:15 AM
I disabled the sound card and the onboard NIC in BIOS. same problem, just no sound.

PNP is turned off

i also tried failsafe mode but same problem

lol im running out of ideas, still searching the web and forums though, im not giving up on linux. i appreciate all the help i have received.

laffer
08-05-2003, 06:09 AM
alright guys im making progress

at the boot prompt i typed this
knoppix lang=us xmodule=nv
i did a search on people with geforcefx and found that i needed this to get it to boot.

now on to new problems.
the chick that speaks STILL gets hung even after the system boots up.
i had to turn off the volume because she was annoying.
also, my NIC card didnt work; i dont know if i need to configure it or not, i didnt have to at work.

this got me thinking: both my NIC and sound card are onboard my mobo....coincidence?

is there a config i need to do for knoppix to recgonize them? is this even my problem? does anyone have any experience with this? man im really excited to have made it this far, but i want to iron out this last little bit so i can really enjoy it.

any ideas how to get my sound/network to work?