PDA

View Full Version : login as root - bye sudo

oscar
08-05-2003, 01:50 AM
If you want login as root 8) and not as the default knoppix user :cry: there is a way.
At boot time type

knoppix single

you will login in text mode then

root@tty[/]# startx

to start kde

That is all. Now you are full root.
No more need for sudo.
knoppix easier than ever. :P

jdong
08-05-2003, 02:47 AM
knoppix single? What happened to Knoppix 2?

oscar
08-05-2003, 08:08 PM
use knoppix single 1 2 3 or 4

an alternative is getting a password with

root@tty[/]# passwd

an then

root@tty[/]# kdm

this way you will login with the usual wallpaper and the girl voice

benmayim
08-18-2003, 12:50 PM
I've tried booting with "knoppix single" start x, etc. I also made myself a root@tty login with a password, but I still cannot alter, move, or delete, or change permissions on any file from my old windows system. :cry:

eadz
08-18-2003, 02:28 PM
I've tried booting with "knoppix single" start x, etc. I also made myself a root@tty login with a password, but I still cannot alter, move, or delete, or change permissions on any file from my old windows system. :cry:

Hard drive partitions are mounted read-only as a precaution, to mount a drive as read-write :

mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hda1 for hda1.

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 10:07 PM
--Just so you know, running everything as root is a **huge** security hole and can be quite dangerous to all mounted filesystems if an ' rm ' command goes wrong. But for a live-cd with everything mounted read-only by default, it's not that critical.

--Incidentally this is a good way to save memory, since you have only 1 tty terminal. If you boot with another desktop (icewm, et al) it will save even more resources.

If you want login as root 8) and not as the default knoppix user :cry: there is a way.
At boot time type

knoppix single

you will login in text mode then

root@tty[/]# startx

to start kde

That is all. Now you are full root.
No more need for sudo.
knoppix easier than ever. :P

didac
09-26-2003, 06:39 PM
I do this : "sudo su" in any terminal

Gyrip
09-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Right Click Hard Disk(hda1) icon and "Change read/write mode.

duah55
03-13-2004, 03:02 PM
how do i get to root,if im using the live CD boot?,since i want to use partimage-when open it,it warns,you are not logged in as root,access denied error

OErjan
03-13-2004, 08:48 PM
sudo partimage should work
sudo should give you acess to most programs.

carolann12
04-08-2004, 05:03 PM
I have tried all the help here but i still cant delete a file or folder, the reason I really need the help is my windows box got hacked and i have a folder which i cannot delete. I have been told that if i boot with knoppix correctly i can delete a folder from an ntfs partition. the actual folder i have is 4gb in size and i desperately want to be rid of it can any one help me here,

knopix says im logged on as root and i have remounted the hda for read write but still the folder wont delete.

many thans for any hlep

carolann

OErjan
04-08-2004, 07:37 PM
hmm ntfs:-( knoppix doesnt suport that 100% .
you might harm your filesystem if you delete that file from knoppix. but if you are desperate...

mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hdXY
where X is drive letter and Y is number.
then use konqueror and go to the folder, right klick soewhere and choose open konsole on the menu that pops up. in thet write

sudo su rm -rf ./* that SHOULDremove things. if not...
ask and i wil try again.

carolann12
04-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanxs for this but it still wont let me access the drive to delete a folder, when i right click on the drive and try to change the read write mode it says knoppix wont allow it , then I tried to remount it and it looked as if it was done but it still would not allow me to delete files or folders,

im logging in like

knoppix single then
startx

which says im root but im not sure I really am, im very new to knoppix how do i change from hda1 to 2 in the root shell.

I am desperate to get rid of that 4gb folder on my server

many thanks

ca

Durand Hicks
04-10-2004, 06:45 PM
You would need the captive-ntfs driver to do this reliably, or do it thru a network, assuming you share just the folder in question that you're trying to delete. You could have deleted the folder directly in windows by opening a command prompt and then type deltree c:\badfolder /y and that folder is history.

OErjan
04-10-2004, 07:10 PM
by the way are you root?
if you are root ou should be able to do ANYTHING even kill a hdd's prom

carolann12
04-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Im logging on as root but it wont let me change the read write status on the drive where in shell or right click hda2. I cant delete the folder using windows because it does not allow because of the reserved file names I have tried using posix comands and everything else i could think of or try but have been told by windows administrators that doing it through unix base os is the only way to delete this folder without doing a reinstall of server.

when i boot with the knoppix disk and login as root it says i have read write access but try to delete even a file and its says access denied.

hmm any other suggestions please

Many thanks ca

Markus
04-13-2004, 07:05 PM
You could try http://www.knoppix-std.org/ which has captive ntfs and would let you delete stuff on ntfs partitions.
BTW, couldn't you delete it with just booting from a win98 or dos bootfloppy?

carolann12
04-19-2004, 04:25 PM
You cant access ntfs fil system using dos or win98 boot disks, I have downloaded knoppix standard but is different from the other knoppix no nice desktop for a newbie like me to navigate. where can i find out how to use knoppix standard to gain my result of deleting a folder on my server i kept trying to mount the volume from the aterm terminal and it looked as if it worked but when i tried to view its access deniec.

I think i may be stuck with that 4gb folder on my systme part of my win2k server if

many thanks for all your help

OErjan
04-19-2004, 06:35 PM
hmmm, if you could format the partition it would go away? hmmm, have you tried shrinking it MAX making a new fat32 partition in the free space and copying things over to that, then remove the cppied files shrink the ntfspartition, maximize the fat32one.- ... --- .- ... ---
if you did that is MIGHT work to finaly removing partition and recreating it and reverse the process.
i think it should work, okok, it would take a LOT of time, and be a possible risk, yes... but it should work.
hmmmm, come to think of it have you tried the captive ntfs? search foryum for it. might work.

Markus
04-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Why not throw in another empty hd, format it fat32, copy over the lot, delete folder, reformat the original hd fat32, copy everything back and use windows to make it ntfs again. Or just switch over the new fat32 hd to master after deleting the folder, boot windows (might need repair from windows cd) and make it ntfs.

Durand Hicks
04-20-2004, 05:31 AM
carolann,

No file or folder is undeletable in windows, unless it has special characters or has a filename that is the same as special device folders. The only way you're going to delete it successfully from w2k, is to open a command prompt in w2k and use the del or deltree command to blast the folder. If it refuses, then you'll need to use the attrib -r -h -s command to remove all the protections on the file/folder in question and then you can delete it from the command prompt window in w2k. Second, if the folder regenerates after being deleted, then it's using the registry to autoregenerate the folder. In that case, you'll have to go in the registry and kill the string in the registry that is autogenerating the folder (usually found in HKLM/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run) and then you can delete the folder for good.

carolann12
04-22-2004, 12:29 PM
The folder contains folders with reserved names and special characters even enterprise admin cannot change permissions on this access is denied no matter what you do, deltree is not a command in w2k my machine keeps telling me its unavailable. Im not formatting my hd its a server and the system drive which would mean a complete rebuild.

thanks everyone for all your help

ca