PDA

View Full Version : After I'll install KNOPPIX on my hd, can I do this:..

IP
08-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Can I edit /etc/apt/apt.conf to unstable, add some unstable mirrors to /etc/apt/sources.list, do:
apt-get update
apt-get -u dist-upgrade
and it will work without prob?

thanks.

BTW
I use knoppix for a week, and I love it!

Stephen
08-05-2003, 05:58 PM
You already have sources for unstable in the sources.list and no I would not recommend a dist-upgrade unless you are prepared to manually resolve the dependencies yourself with apt-get ie. tracking down all the required libraries and such that will be needed when you do it the result of a dist-upgrade on knoppix is usually a bunch of packages removed generally starting with KDE. That being said if you fell up to it I would recommend putting a -s in the dist-upgrade line to simulate the process and see what the result could be.

To track down the dependency problems you would usually try to install individually the packages you see it is going to remove from the unstable branch with a command like apt-get install package/unstable if you get an error say it cannot be installed but it needs program version 1.23.3 and 1.22.2 is going to be installed the use apt-cache policy program to see where you need to install the program from.

three eyes open
08-06-2003, 09:11 AM
Thank you yet again, Stephen, you just solved a problem I was having too. :D

IP
08-08-2003, 07:53 PM
If I'll install knopix I'll tell how it was, cause now I don't know if I want debian or gentoo.

IP.

fingers99
08-08-2003, 08:18 PM
cause now I don't know if I want debian or gentoo

Why not install both? :wink: