PDA

View Full Version : Finding .deb's

ajcase
08-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Is there a search site for debs like rpmfind ?
T Case

rickenbacherus
08-06-2003, 04:48 PM
I doubt that this is like rpmfind (because .debs actually work) :P
But you can always go to http://www.debian.org

Also if you have installed Knoppix to your hdd then there is kpackage which will show you what you have installed, what's new and what can be upgraded. Better yet do this:

apt-get install synaptic
synaptic

ajcase
08-06-2003, 05:25 PM
I was wondering if there were other sources for deb's than those already searched by Synaptic (yes, I already got that) I recognise the advantages of deb over rpm, that's the main reason I moved from Suse to Debian (Knoppix).
Incidentaly, kpackage doesn't work on my installation, I get the following errors :

<cdrom/Graphics/Cinelerra/cinelerra-1.1.6-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
RESULT=1

Any Ideas what that is

Edwin
08-06-2003, 05:48 PM
RESULT=1

Any Ideas what that is

I think it is rpm complaining that it can't find the database where it tracks it's installed packages. I had something simular and could fix it with 'rpm --initdb' in a rootshell.

HTH

- - Edwin

Viro
08-06-2003, 11:59 PM
AFAIK, KPackage is used to manage .debs in Knoppix, not .rpms. Don't know how to get rpms to work in Knoppix though...

Edwin
08-07-2003, 12:46 AM
AFAIK, KPackage is used to manage .debs in Knoppix, not .rpms. Don't know how to get rpms to work in Knoppix though...

The KPackage handbook states: "KPackage is a GUI interface to the RPM, Debian, Slackware and BSD Package managers".

It is not perfect, but I did manage to install a *.rpm with it. Another *.rpm install failed but I used 'alien' for that with success. Ok, I do not know anymore in which program I got the error. But using 'rpm --initdb' somewhere fixed things.

YMMV

Regards

- - Edwin

rickenbacherus
08-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Incidentaly, kpackage doesn't work on my installation, I get the following errors :

RESULT=1

Any Ideas what that is

Hmmmm- how is it that you're getting an rpm error mewonders? Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

Did you install rpm on your machine? There certainly is no such file /var/lib/rpm nor should there be.

ajcase
08-07-2003, 03:13 PM
I didn't install RPM, it was already there, RPM version 4.0.4, installed with Knoppix, actualy, I'm not that concerned with that, what is more of a concern is that Synaptic gives the error
"cannot read sources.list file" when I click on the repositories button I checked and the file is there in /etc/apt it's readable and has contents, any ideas ?
TC