PDA

View Full Version : home part. noob ques.

edsin
08-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi,
Noob here.I followed Steven' Howto to format a new partition as home partition with reiserfs(after it was already on /).Worked for many days.Afters, i tried to delete /home/(from / and whatever was in it-to save on space as shown by Steven) by booting off cd:sudo rm -rf /home/* ;wasnt successful(maybe i was,but i could see the folders still-now i think,after reading Bruno' tips in scottfinnie' forum,it may have been symlinks)but deleted some files using i switch(rm -ri /home/*).Booted in root and tried to delete the home directory in /;permision was denied.Now when i log in as knoppix user,i get some error"couldn't start copserver". and kmserver failed to start and no write permission for /home/ in /.Is there anything i can do(other than reinstalling)? Knoppix3.2-30th March.There is a foldercalled Knoppix in /home/(both in / and sep.home partn.) and inside 3 folders:desktop,tmp and 1more. Thanks.By the way,software removal tool(hope Klaus finds a way for us to intall a mean/lean/fast version) works in icewm (doesnt in kde-even removes software that was not possible in KDE using commandline).
ed

rickenbacherus
08-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Did you edit /etc/fstab so that your new /home partition gets mounted on boot? Here's the line from my fstab:

/dev/hda4 /home auto rw,auto,user,exec 0 0

Of course use your own partition. ;)

You should be able to log in as root and edit /etc/fstab. If not then boot the Knoppix disc, mount /root and edit from there.

edsin
08-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks.Sorry for replying so late-i do not have internet access at home.
Here is my fstab.After converting /home to reiserfs,i manually changed "ext3" to "reiserfs" in fstab file(thx again to bruno' tips).

/dev/hda1 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showxec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
#parts found by knoppix
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
#Added by knoppix
/dev/hda2 /home auto rw,user,auto,exec 0 0

So the line is there.I think i may have hosed KDE by removing some packages(only removed optional like games,etc.(i use ranish PM)
Edsin

fingers99
08-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Code:
/dev/hda4 /home auto rw,auto,user,exec 0 0

Mine's much the same and works. But, just a thought. Doesn't the 0 0 mean that it'll not get fstabbed? And doesn't it need to be? 0 1 ?

I'm really not sure. What do people think?

rickenbacherus
08-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Log in as root, enter mount in a term. If /dev/hda2 is in fact mounted on /home and you're getting the dcop error I'd say you removed your user info. If you don't see /dev/hda2 mounted on /home then that's your problem.

If you removed your user info then deluser edsin and add a new user like so: adduser edsin Yes that means you have to start setting the system up to your liking again but you shouldn't have to reinstall.

edsin
08-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks,Rick.hda2 was mounted on /home.Did deluser knoppix,then adduser knoppix.works ok.2 probs though.there is a strange line(when mount)(fstab is unchanged)
root@ed:/home/knoppix# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/root.old on /initrd type ext2 (rw).....this line!!!!!
none on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda4 on /mnt/hda4 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000)
/dev/hda2 on /home type reiserfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
root@ed:/home/knoppix#

and on desktop,there is this old root /.initrd mounted partition.The files in this seem to be same as in /.initrd.And when i open a new txt file,the font is strangely compressed(looks russian, R shows as P).