PDA

View Full Version : newbie downloads

alex121
08-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Hi i am just new and got my copy of knoppix can anyone tell me if there is any other software i can download for it i. e utilities etc and if so where

thank you :roll:

fingers99
08-07-2003, 01:44 AM
You mean there isn't enough on there :?:

I think if you're running Knoppix from CD, that's about it. But do the HD install and you've basically got a Debian system. You can install any Debian package. :wink:

stoneangel
08-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Is there a good place to get instructions for loading knoppix onto my HD? I'm currently booting off of the CD. I can't seem to print or save anything this way. I have a glitch when saving to floppy. Also, I can't use my speakers or camera. I have knoppix 3.2. :)

Cronos55
08-16-2003, 05:08 AM
when booting CD, after it loads you open console and type "su" press enter then type "knx-hdinstall" and just follow the instructioons.
Good luck

socalgail
08-24-2003, 03:58 AM
Is there a good place to get instructions for loading knoppix onto my HD? I'm currently booting off of the CD. I can't seem to print or save anything this way. I have a glitch when saving to floppy. Also, I can't use my speakers or camera. I have knoppix 3.2. :)

Follow the instructions from the HdBased HowTo (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo) :)

timothy
08-25-2003, 02:43 PM

stoneangel:

the short answer is to open a terminal and type "sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall" -- even though it's an old article, here is a piece by Joe barr that still applies:

http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2002110600226RVDBSW

Even though it's not supported (i.e. Klaus Knopper cannot guarantee you anything ;)), the hard-drive install script that starts when you issue that command has treated me well. I have always installed onto a dedicated hard drive (that is, not dual booting), can't offer any advice on dual booting.

One slightly tricky part of the install is partitioning, because the program used to do the partitioning (cfdisk) is not exactly intuitive. However, at least on my systems (installing onto a new, blank hard drive), it tends to offer sane defaults, so once cfdisk starts, I basically tap "w" (for 'write') and then "q" (for 'quit').

[Note that the Knoppix install script is multi-part; hitting "q" in cfdisk does *not* quit the installation process, just ends the disk partitioning part of it, and continues to the rest. Don't panic because you're hitting "quit" before you're through.]

If you're interested, though (see the man page ;)), you can use cfdisk to create a more elaborate partitioning scheme, for instance to put /home on its own partition etc, rather than slapping nearly everything onto a huge root partition.

timothy