PDA

View Full Version : Problem reading existing partitions

kgray1980
08-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Hello all,
I have a toshiba satellite 1805 dual boot with XP and Mandrake 9.1. My Mandrake /etc/fstab file looks like this:
/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hda8 /usr ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda9 /var ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap ext3 noatime 1 2

Knoppix would hang at the 'writing /etc/fstab' part of the initialization unless I use the 'dma' cheatcode. It will not mount any of the partitions automatically. I changed the /etc/fstab to match the mandrake one with the auto option on all of the partitions and used the command 'mount -a' but it gave the error about wrong filesystem type. So then I attempted to mount each one individually using the respective commands similar to 'mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows' (after creating the directory /mnt/windows of course). It still gives me the same error. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Dave_Bechtel
08-09-2003, 10:03 PM
--Is this booting from CD or installed to HD? Anyway, you might want to put 'defaults,noatime' instead of just noatime. And the swap partition should be like this:

/dev/sdb2 none swap defaults,sw,pri=2 0 0

--Dunno if it will help, but it's all that I can come up with at the moment.

Hello all,
I have a toshiba satellite 1805 dual boot with XP and Mandrake 9.1. My Mandrake /etc/fstab file looks like this:
/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,ro 0 0
/dev/hda8 /usr ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda9 /var ext3 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda7 swap ext3 noatime 1 2

Knoppix would hang at the 'writing /etc/fstab' part of the initialization unless I use the 'dma' cheatcode. It will not mount any of the partitions automatically. I changed the /etc/fstab to match the mandrake one with the auto option on all of the partitions and used the command 'mount -a' but it gave the error about wrong filesystem type. So then I attempted to mount each one individually using the respective commands similar to 'mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows' (after creating the directory /mnt/windows of course). It still gives me the same error. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks