PDA

View Full Version : Boot Disk?

11-23-2002, 06:36 AM
I've got a knoppix demo cd and I love it...the only problem is that I'd like to be able to boot the OS using a 3 1/2" boot disk instead of installing boot loader software...is this possible during the install process?

eadz
11-23-2002, 08:04 AM
It is possable, but during install it will partition your hard disk, and it may install a boot loader. What OS is currently running on it?
there is a program called "mkboot" which should make a boot disk, you will either have to skip the lilo stage, or undo the changes.. ( which i'm not sure what they would be, if you're running windows then it's hard to reinstall the boot sector.. )

A. Jorge Garcia
11-23-2002, 03:10 PM
I've got a knoppix demo cd and I love it...the only problem is that I'd like to be able to boot the OS using a 3 1/2" boot disk instead of installing boot loader software...is this possible during the install process?

Why don't you just rawrite boot-en.img a: ?

I had to use rawrite as my old computers couldn't use rawrite2, the boot disk came out bad!

Regards,

Tech2k
11-23-2002, 08:07 PM
If you are doing a hdd install with the knx-hdinstall script then just say "no" later in the install process when it ask if you want to add lilo to the boot record and say "yes" when it ask you if you want to make a boot floppy disk.Put a blank floppy in your drive first and it will write a disk for you.

If you want to boot the cd from a floppy disk please see the "cheatcodes" and change the cdrom directory and the boot.img to your needs.

Also this may be of use to you http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/