PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix User

koselan
08-07-2003, 04:37 AM
Hello,

I used Knoppix v3.2 on my machine and I want to configure it to be multi user.
I mean before the machine enter xsession, it ask user to used with.
What configuration that I should make ?

Does any one help me ?

Sorry, I do not know where I should place my question because there are no topic group that related with my question.

Thanks
Susanto W

Stephen
08-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Hello,

I used Knoppix v3.2 on my machine and I want to configure it to be multi user.
I mean before the machine enter xsession, it ask user to used with.
What configuration that I should make ?

Does any one help me ?

Sorry, I do not know where I should place my question because there are no topic group that related with my question.

Thanks
Susanto W
I have moved your post to the General Support forum. If I understand your question correctly you want to have an additional user to login in addition to the Knoppix and Root users at the login screen. At the login screen choose the Menu option and then console login, type in root and enter then your root password enter again. The command to add a user would be adduser user_name Then you would type in the user_name and the display name and your password twice for confirmation you can leave the other questions it will ask you blank (just hit the enter key). After you have done this you would type logout and enter to logout of the console you would then wait about 15-20 seconds and the X server will re-start and you will be back at the graphical login with the new user as a login option.

When you login as the new user for the first time in KDE you will have to go through the configuration screens the first of which will be in German. You would choose from the menu selector that is there I think it is Amerika Nord then the US flag to get English screens from then on. The keyboard will also be a German layout once you finish the confogurations screens you either click on the flag on the taskbar on the right of the screen and choose the US flag for that layout or start from the K menu then Settings -> Control Center -> Regional & Acessibility -> Keyboard Layout to make permenant changes.

The second paragraph assumes you want the US English and Keyboard layout if you want another language and keyboard layout you would choose them instead.

koselan
08-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks for your answer.

My problem is not how to add a new user but how to make a window for user selection appear when Knoppix v3.2 start.

Because, after a machine restart, the machine automatically enter to knoppix user.
For your information I have made a new user, for example koselan but I can not use it.

Susanto W

Stephen
08-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Because, after a machine restart, the machine automatically enter to knoppix user.
For your information I have made a new user, for example koselan but I can not use it.

Susanto W

Sounds like you or knoppix itself has configured auto-login. Go to the Control Center -> System Administration -> Login Manager then enter Administrator mode type in your root password and on the convienience tab unselect the automatic login. That should get you back to having the KDE login manager start instead of booting directly to the knoppix user.