PDA

View Full Version : My KDE is goosed :(

Doc
08-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Hi all,

Don't know what caused it but one morning I booted up the PC and ended up at console log-in as, you probably guessed from subject, my KDE is well and truly goosed...

OK, not a problem.... did some lateral thinking and just booted into Icewm etc... but I'd like to get KDE back up and running. (At least now I've tried a few of the alternatives, also I installed Enlightenment outta curiousity.... check it out!)

Anyways, messing about with apt-get to re-install = unmet dependencies, which I haven't been able to get sorted yet.. My question is, can I do a re-install Windows-style ie: fix the problem WITHOUT screwing up my settings/software, or does a re-install from the Knoppix CD put me back to square one? Just wanna know, thanks in advance.

Mike.

PS I'll send a tenner to the wittiest response quoting "re-install Windows-style ie: fix the problem WITHOUT screwing up my settings" LMAO :D

fingers99
08-07-2003, 04:31 PM
I'm struggling with this problem myself. Not reached a resolution yet (diallup sloth).

What I do know is that

a re-install from the Knoppix CD put me back to square one

is true. Unless you have a seperate /home. When it's less true.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4051

for details.

One thought: if you did nothing and your Kde is goosed, it might be possible to recover.

Thoughts, anyone?

Doc
08-08-2003, 06:18 AM
Been reading up a bit more, looks like a few people have had similar problems.

Anyways, I'm gonna try this:

1. Edit my source.list and comment out the stable and testing references
2. Attempt to apt-get -t install kde

Wish me luck and I'll post my results.

PS I did try apt-get install gnome and guess what? Unmet dependencies. Poo!!

Doc
08-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Me so happy, ME SO HAPPY!!!!! Phew, back to normal now...

OK, what I did:

Commented out all references to stable and testing in /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update

Then apt-get install kde..... unmet dependencies kde-amusements (Can you believe that?)

Okies, apt-get install kde-amusements... then...
apt-get install kde

Rebooted...

apt-get install kdm

Reboot

apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade (100mb download to install 7.82mb, what's with that?)

Started kdm et voila! ich habe ein "FULLY WORKING KDE ONCE MORE!!"

If this info helps then I'm happy, good luck! I think the main thing is to comment out the stable and testing refs in sources.list because (and I failed to mention this earlier) the reason I think KDE got goosed in first place was coz I did an apt-get dist-upgrade.... Anyone smarter than me confirm or deny my theory that dist-upgrade is ONLY safe when apt-getting from a constrained source? IE: In my case, unstable...

Thanks in advance, Mike..

Doc
08-12-2003, 12:45 AM
I cannot believe that noone has posted a reply to this yet, as it seems a lot of you have had similar problems to myself. C'mon guys, let me know if my info has helped at all.

Cya Mike.

fingers99
08-12-2003, 02:27 AM
We were probably all kicking ourselves after doing a re-install! :wink:

Congratulations!

Can anyone comment on how commenting
out all references to stable and testing in /etc/apt/sources.list is likely to affect a system in the future?

Are there any caveats?