PDA

View Full Version : Autoconfigure

robrink
08-07-2003, 12:46 PM
I have installed Knoppix onto my HD. One of the things I liked running from the CD is the autoconfiguration of my hardware. However .. autoconfigure does not seem to run when Knoppix is installed to the HD.
Does anyone know how to enable autoconfiguration of the hardware when booting Knoppix from the HD ?

unamiccia
08-07-2003, 10:04 PM
When you boot from the CD, the CD doesn't know anything about your computer. Autoconfigure snoops around, learns about your hardware, and writes a bunch of configuration files. When you installed to the hard disk, these files got installed, too. You don't need Autoconfigure anymore!

But maybe you knew that and you're really asking whether you could use Autoconfigure from the installed system to, for example, automatically reconfigure after a hardware change. I think the answer is no. Autoconfigure is brilliant at setting up a "fresh" instance of Knoppix from the CD, but it would be a pretty blunt instrument to use, say, to detect a newly installed CD drive and get it represented in fstab. You'd gain the CD drive, but you'd also get "fresh copies" of a bunch of other configuration files, overwriting all the important changes you'd made in the originals.

That said, you can certainly use Autoconfigure from the CD to generate fresh config files and then use them as models for editing the installed config files.

Unamiccia

Dave_Bechtel
08-08-2003, 05:53 AM
' apt-get update '
' apt-get install discover '

I have installed Knoppix onto my HD. One of the things I liked running from the CD is the autoconfiguration of my hardware. However .. autoconfigure does not seem to run when Knoppix is installed to the HD.
Does anyone know how to enable autoconfiguration of the hardware when booting Knoppix from the HD ?