PDA

View Full Version : To chroot or not to chroot

sminotti
08-07-2003, 07:24 PM
I messed up /etc/x11/xfconfig-4 on hdd2.
I need to boot the cd, open /etc/x11/xf86Config-4 (on hdd2)edit, and save the changes. When I do, Kwrite won't allow the write. A chroot /mnt/hdd2 returns numerous Permission denied.

I can boot fom the hard drive, log in as root (no GUI) , but can't seem to find x11 in the etc directory, even though when booting from cd , the directory and everything is there when I click on the /mnt/hdd2 icon.

I know this is simple...

oscar
08-07-2003, 07:38 PM
try booting the CD with
knoppix single
startx
now you are root
dont forget enable writing mode for hdd2

Stephen
08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
I messed up /etc/x11/xfconfig-4 on hdd2.
I need to boot the cd, open /etc/x11/xf86Config-4 (on hdd2)edit, and save the changes. When I do, Kwrite won't allow the write. A chroot /mnt/hdd2 returns numerous Permission denied.

I can boot fom the hard drive, log in as root (no GUI) , but can't seem to find x11 in the etc directory, even though when booting from cd , the directory and everything is there when I click on the /mnt/hdd2 icon.

I know this is simple...

Try booting from the CD then in a console window:

sudo mount /dev/hdd2 /mnt/hdd2
sudo cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hdd2/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

This will copy the config file from the CD to the HD and allow you to boot to the KDE login screen also I see when you type the lines here you are not using Capital letters where necessary if you are doing this from the HD when you booted then you will not be looking for the right directory.