PDA

View Full Version : mouse in root console and adduser

andrei
08-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi,

How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

How should I add users?

Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

Thanks!

Dave_Bechtel
08-09-2003, 10:10 PM
' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.

--That's a little weird with adduser, but you could try ' /etc/init.d/portmap start ' and see if that helps.

Hi,

How can I get my mouse to work in the root console (not in the emulator - the one opened by ctrl+alt+F2)

Also - adduser does not seem to work with Knoppix. I get a rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote System error - Connection refused.

How should I add users?

Is it due to the fact that it is a live-CD or should I do something differently?

Thanks!

andrei
08-10-2003, 02:45 PM
thanks!

andrei
08-10-2003, 04:07 PM
' man gpm ' - the string I use for a USB mouse is:
' gpm -m /dev/input/mice -R raw -t imps2 ' but it will probably be different for you.

yep. gpm is the one (I remember using it from my courses). a follow-up question: is there a KDE utility (or something else) which allows me to detect the mouse type? I have an Dell intellimouse which is ps2 compatible but when I enter 'gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2' the gpm deamon loads just fine, and it "sort of works" in the sense that I see a cursor in the console, but it jumps all around, cannot be accurately aimed and sends garbage to the console.

gpm-mouse-test finds the device just fine but detects only ambiguous baud rates and cannot identify the mouse type.

BTW - I boot with the "wheelmouse" option

any ideas?

Thanks!