PDA

View Full Version : LinNeighborhood

Renfield
08-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Hello everybody! I just installed Knoppix and i was trying to see the Windows Network of my office, but it is not possible to see the workgroup with LinNeighborhood as it was said in the FAQ. Do I have to set something? Is there another way to browse my LAN?
The network card is configured and working... Any help?
Thanks everybody
Ren

Stefan
08-08-2003, 09:14 PM
On my local network I was only to see the pc's and shared folder after entering the name of ip-address of the pc I wanted to investigate.
From the main screen, choose Add. After entering an ip-address and klicking Query, you will see the domain and name of the computer you are looking for. If not, you may not have a proper connection to the network. If ok, the computername will appear in the list. And then you need to scan the machine for shared folders (use mouse-right) and choose Scan as user. Use the correct name and password for that computer and voila!

This worked perfectly, although also not with all my computers.

Regards,

Stefan

kaplanfx
08-08-2003, 11:09 PM
putting in computer names and IP addresses works ok but I think the whole point of linneighborhood is that you can browse around. Once I realized it didn't work, I switched to konquorer for browsing the network, if you allread know the name you can enter smb://comptoconnectto or you can enter smb://workgrouptobrowse and it works pretty well. Plus you don't have to mount the remote drives to access them (you can if you want though)

btw, how can I make the smb:// lines not come up as links on this bb?

-Kaplanfx

Stephen
08-09-2003, 12:51 AM
btw, how can I make the smb:// lines not come up as links on this bb?

-Kaplanfx

smb: //sometext - put a space in and it will not think it is a URL.