PDA

View Full Version : Check sum Failed but the iso file is ok..i think...

5h3n9
08-10-2003, 01:53 AM
hey, i got a problem really.
i downloaded KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-26-EN.iso and dunno why it says check sum had failed..
i went back to the ftp and saw that the original file is 727,525,396 bytes and mine is 727,525,376 bytes which is 20 bytes short. I tried to resume the download, but it just can't. However i can extract the iso by using UltraISO without getting any errors. Any help?

Thanks!

PS. if i burn the image onto cd..will i succeed? (since the file is extractable) :cry:

Tech2k
08-10-2003, 03:33 AM
humm... 20 bytes.
I am guilty of not even checking the md5sum unless I have a problem but if I did check and it was not perfect it would bug me.Yours is probaly fine but if you want to fix it without downloading another iso you could use rsync.Rsync wont work with knoppix to upgrade one build to another because of the compressed file system (well it will work but wont save much time) but since you already have the latest version you can use rsync to fix it very quickly.I have done this many times on dialup after starting and stopping my knoppix download many times I will "run thru it" with rsync and it takes less than 5 minutes.The command I would use (run from the same directory as the iso is stored in) on a linux box is :

rsync -P --stats ftp.leo.org::Knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-26-EN.iso .

Note the space and period at the end of the line...it IS importiant.

If you do try this you might want to use a COPY of your iso that you downloaded because if you type the wrong rsync command you might trash your iso.

5h3n9
08-10-2003, 03:39 AM
Thanks Tech2k!!!! I'll have a try! :D :D