PDA

View Full Version : Max file size?

gretchen
08-10-2003, 03:53 AM
How do you get knoppix to see files over 2GB? My hard drive is formatted with reiserfs. I've done some research on the topic, but it's confusing as some sites say it will work and others say you have to recompile all programs you want to use with large files with large file support. Can anyone provide some clarity?

I've got some captured video which I'd like to encode. I'd much rather use Linux as I can write a script and do multiple files without worrying about it and checking it every ten minutes.

fingers99
08-10-2003, 04:19 AM
From the FAQ on http://www.namesys.com/ I get 4 Gbytes with 3.5 and 17.6 Tbytes(should be 1 Ebytes, but limited by page cache on 32 bit) with 3.6.

I hear that 4 will raise the limits further, but I guess that'll run into page cache limits.......

From what I remember, ext2 and 3 have limits in the Tbytes range.

HTH, but for a definitive answer, I'd post to the Reiser list.

gretchen
08-10-2003, 04:30 AM
That's just the problem, I should beable to use files bigger than 2GB but I can't. It lists them as 16TB when I mount a Windows share. When I try to copy it copies some, but never goes over 0%

I think the kernel needs to be compiled with --largefiles (as far as I understand) So, has this been done? Is there a remaster I could download with it in? or will I have to wait until I'm brave enough to recompile the kernel?

Dave_Bechtel
08-13-2003, 09:31 AM
--How are you mounting the share drive? (Be specific with commands used.) I dunno if mount/samba has problems with NTFS or not, maybe that could be a factor. If you have enough HD space on your Knoppix box maybe you could FTP the files over...

That's just the problem, I should beable to use files bigger than 2GB but I can't. It lists them as 16TB when I mount a Windows share. When I try to copy it copies some, but never goes over 0%

I think the kernel needs to be compiled with --largefiles (as far as I understand) So, has this been done? Is there a remaster I could download with it in? or will I have to wait until I'm brave enough to recompile the kernel?

gretchen
08-13-2003, 10:36 PM
from my fstab

//windows/work /mnt/work smbfs rw,uid=1000 0 0

There are a couple options I don't remember and I'm not at my home computer now. I think using samba is my problem, because I read that smbfs can't handle files over 2GB. (now I can't find that link) From another link that I can't find, I also read that samba has no trouble with writing to NTFS, because samba has it's own file system (or something like that)

Anyway, I just configured the recording program to record to 2GB segments, and I join them when I edit out the commercials in Virtual Dub. It works for now.