PDA

View Full Version : The lady with the sexy voice........

fingers99
08-10-2003, 04:25 AM
On the CD version there's a woman saying "initialising start-up process" or something similar. Now, I can't get my user knoppix to have any sound on start up, although root does the standard "bump-tiddy-bump" Kde noises.

Any way to get the lady back?

rickenbacherus
08-10-2003, 06:12 AM
play /usr/share/sounds/startup.ogg

That'll get you the lady anyway.

Do you have the aRts sound server enabled on startup for user?

I don't know where you'd put that .ogg to get it to run on boot exactly.

Stephen
08-10-2003, 06:35 AM
To check the settings in KDE go to the Control Center then Sound System and make sure that the start aRts checkbox is selected then in the System Notifications make sure the sounds are selected in the KDE starting up and exiting options. The exiting sound would be the shutdown.ogg in the above mentioned directory.

fingers99
08-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks: I'll give that a go. In the meantime, I've more pressing sound issues (see above). Dunno why, but I'm really struggling with this install. BTW, I'm running ALSA, installed with/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig which, aside from no start up or shut down noises as knoppix, worked fine.

Off to bed, I've spent way too long today fiddling with this today!

Stephen
08-10-2003, 08:30 AM
BTW, I'm running ALSA, installed with/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig which,

Check in the Sound I/O tab in Sound System for ALSA being used for the Sound I/O method as well.

fingers99
08-10-2003, 05:03 PM
thanks both. I've got the lady back (as root at least -- yet to check as users) the saga continues here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19422#19422

agro
08-11-2003, 02:42 PM
My sound chip wasn't recognised when booting the CD but I went ahead and did an HD-install anyway. Then just to see what would happen I typed

# alsa<TAB>

to see what ALSA related commands were in root's PATH. I found 'alsa_snddevices' and 'alsa_init'. I ran them both and immediately sound was working, much to my surprise.

Some time later I discovered the 'knoppix alsa' cheat code for booting the CD. This also set up sound perfectly for the live CD. Doesn't this configuration carry over to an HD-install?

Having a working sound system already I didn't want to start over just check it works.

fingers99
08-11-2003, 05:45 PM
/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig

works on HD installs, but I think there are some issues on reboot if (like me) you play with the /etc/group file. My guess is that this (whatever it is) is a left over from one of the Knoppix CD scripts.