PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on Dell Dimension 4500S promising thus far

Terrio
08-10-2003, 07:20 AM
After completing # knx-hdinstall, I am pleased when I do a # lsusb -v , my HP PhotoSmart 7350 USB printer, my HP CD-Writer 8200, my digital camera flash card on a USB card holder attached to a USB hub are all detected. I suppose I am not too concerned with gtkam and gphoto2 as long as I can read and write to the flash card which is recognized as /dev/sda1. Took me 4 hours to reinstall cups and the foomatic drivers + the ppd file from linux printing and I finally got the HP PhotoSmart 7350 (/dev/usb/lp0) to print consistently using cups. Also XFree86 4.3 is working very well and in fast 3-D accelerated mode for my Intel 845 on board video chip. So far so good. '8)'

Currently I am using either Blackbox or Gnome Two point Three which I compiled from source on to this Knoppix box because KDE does not work so good for me using a German keyboard; whereas Blackbox and Gnome 2.3 loads the US keyboard; and I like Blackbox and Gnome anyway.

Now for my problem. Jpilot does not recognize my USB Palm Tungsten which should be residing on /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 or thereabouts - I know from previous experience that neither Slackware 9 nor Redhat 9 have this problem and recognized /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 right away after tweaking permissions for the normal user. # lsusb -v does not show anything either. Does anyone have an Idea on how to get Jplot to work with my USB cradle?

JamesLaRue
04-01-2004, 01:35 AM
I installed Knoppix 3.3 (I think! -- it was the November 2003 version, but I'm writing from another machine) on a Dell machine, 512 megs of RAM. I tried to synch through Jpilot both before and after distribution upgrade. I made a new symlink from /dev/ttyUSB1 to /dev/pilot, and chmod 666 /dev/pilot. But lsmod showed that no visor module was loaded in the kernel.

When I tried "modprobe visor.o" -- even WITH the full path to visor.o -- I got a message something like "can't find that."

So now I have TWO questions.

1. How do I get Knoppix to sync my M505 Palm via my USB port? I have successfully done so under Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. So the hardware works.

2. How come modprobe doesn't want to load the module?