PDA

View Full Version : Configure old Mono Monitor

raja_chaudhuri
08-11-2003, 06:30 AM
HI
I am avery new user of Knoppix. But I fall in love of this.
I tried Knoppix on my office PC and It worked fine. Then I took It to my Home. I have aold Mono Monitor and Knoppix is not able to configure X there. My monitor supports max 800X600 Res. I tried giving the command "knoppix screen=800X600" at the booting time. but it starts X in 1024X768 Res mode and as a result the screen Starts flickering.
Please help.

Thanks in advance

unamiccia
08-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Raja:

One of the amazing things about Knoppix is how good it is at autodetecting monitor characteristics -- you can almost be proud that you got it to fail!

You didn't tell us enough about your monitor to be sure, but it's possible it's just not capable of displaying X. I doubt it, though. If you can get it to display MS Windows, it ought to display X. If you simply want to get Linux running as easily as possible, you may actually have better luck with a more traditional, multiple-CD distribution of Linux, where there is plenty of room to include routines for detecting older hardware. Mandrake, for example, made sense of a really ancient mono monitor for me once. It has a reputation for excellent hardware support.

But we're talking Knoppix here. I'm not sure from your description whether this is useful advice or not, but here's one thing you might want to try. When you get to X, and with Num Lock off, do Ctrl-Alt-minus sign and Ctrl-Alt-plus sign (on the number pad). This is the shortcut way to adjust monitor resolution.

If you can get to a working resolution that way, you can either be happy with this solution or you can play around with /etc/XF86Config-4 -- the configuration file that contains the values you were just switching between. This is not for the fainthearted, but it's good for learning! Read the XF86Config info file for background; you may also find this thread (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/8/2001/11/3/8886) helpful. Basically you have to do some rearranging of display modes in the section called "Screen." Good luck and have fun if you try this -- and let us know if something works!

Unamiccia