PDA

View Full Version : Does the latest Knoppix CD detect the nForce2 onboard LAN?

audioaficionado
08-11-2003, 07:11 AM
I'm just checking in to find out if I can access the internet with my Abit NF7-S rev2.0 nForce2 mainboard's onboard NIC using the latest Knoppix CD yet.

No sense in DL a 700Mb iso for nothing.

Stephen
08-11-2003, 08:21 AM
I'm just checking in to find out if I can access the internet with my Abit NF7-S rev2.0 nForce2 mainboard's onboard NIC using the latest Knoppix CD yet.

No sense in DL a 700Mb iso for nothing.

You may want to check this thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3774#17571) on the Overclockix remaster it appears to support the nic.

Duffin444
08-11-2003, 08:34 AM
This thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2639&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) seems to have the answer. The A7N8X deluxe has an onboard nforce nic. The last post seems to solve the problem, though i have not tried it myself. I do know, however, that clusterknoppix (http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/) integrates the drivers as that seems to work on my computer. Please let us know if the above thread helps

-Duffin

audioaficionado
08-11-2003, 09:31 AM
I was hoping the Knoppix Live CD Linux auto detected everything like it does on my other computers. The nForce2 chipset mobos are quite numerous and popular now. The auto detect support should be there by now.

What's the main differances between ClusterKnoppix and the regular Knoppix CD?

BTW I downloaded Arkaine23's Overclockix remaster tonight. I'll try it out later this week since I FAH 24/7 too. We both frequent the forums at http://forum.oc-forums.com/

Duffin444
08-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Clusterknoppix just has a kernel that is patched to allow clustering via openmosix. The openmosix feature makes the kernel slightly larger so a few programs had to be taken out (I don't even notice which ones though). Other than that and the nvidia drivers i don't know if there is that big of a difference at all.

-Duffin

audioaficionado
08-16-2003, 08:18 AM
This is the newest version of Arkane23's Overclockix

http://overclockix.octeams.com/Overclockix_Eidolon.iso

Don't try to DL until it's finished uploading in about 2.75 hrs from the time of this post.

arkaine23
08-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Actually, I'm working on some more goodies right now since I found some spare time. There will be an even newer iso sometime around noon tomorrow- lots of updates to the normal software, openoffice 1.1, mplayer, and firebird. I'll just have to see how the iso size works out once all these things are installed......

audioaficionado
08-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Then I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon. Please post if your schedule changes.

Mica
08-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Is there any time listed yet for when the nForce 2's nics will be supported in Knoppix?

Stephen
08-20-2003, 11:46 PM
Is there any time listed yet for when the nForce 2's nics will be supported in Knoppix?

They will not be unless Nvidia changes their terms of license.

audioaficionado
08-21-2003, 10:43 AM

They will not be unless Nvidia changes their terms of license.

:?: :?: :?:

nVidia has the drivers for Linux. All someone would have to do is compile them for Debian and set it up to auto detect. It's already been done in some custom Knoppix CDs. Arkane23 did already on his Overclockix_Eidolon.iso

Stephen
08-21-2003, 08:37 PM
nVidia has the drivers for Linux. All someone would have to do is compile them for Debian and set it up to auto detect. It's already been done in some custom Knoppix CDs. Arkane23 did already on his Overclockix_Eidolon.iso

Legally, the Linux Exception does allow Nvidia-licensed modules to be included
and distributed (i've contacted nvidia about including them in my derivative,
and they had absolutly no problems with it, which is why i've included it
myself). Klaus has objected that the zlib-compression used would modify the
binary, and thus violate the license (which is correct), but again I've
contacted Nvidia and they stated that 'compressing' should be seen as any sort
of compression, not being library-dependant. Now I'm personally not going to
whine about the difference (having personal confirmation), but this is a
difference serious enough for it to not be included in either Debian non-free or
Knoppix, both using different compression types and thus, if the license is
taken literally, would be incompatible for even distributing it.

Note that this was about the XFree86 driver, but the same would apply for the
nforce driver supplied by Nvidia.

Cheers, and IANAL,
Alex

From a post on the developers list by the developer of Morphix.

audioaficionado
08-21-2003, 10:20 PM
Well why didn't someone mention this in bug fix 101 instead of leaving us twisting in the wind.

nVidia also gave the guy who wrote the Omega drivers a ration of crap so he won't write any more nVidida tweaked drivers.

I think I'll buy something other than nVidia next time.

Stephen
08-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Well why didn't someone mention this in bug fix 101 instead of leaving us twisting in the wind.

nVidia also gave the guy who wrote the Omega drivers a ration of crap so he won't write any more nVidida tweaked drivers.

I think I'll buy something other than nVidia next time.

I've already returned my new card for this very reason were not good enough for them, then my money's not good enough for them either.

arkaine23
08-22-2003, 01:26 AM
http://overclockix.octeams.com there are 2 different 699mb ISO's on this page. The second is the newer one.

New overclockix is out, but the new applications in it are not available in kde's menu. You have to launch them from a termnial. Seems apt-get upgrade somehow broke things, and I've been unable to update the KDE menu no matter how hard I try. Fluxbox and icewm menus work though, but they refuse to accept my submenu for custom scripts and my alterations aterm and eterm which would make those terms transperant. You can still do my custom scripts and have transperant terms by using a terminal to launch them.

aterm -tr -sh 50 (is a nice transperant term)

ooffice (for openoffice1.1)
gmplayer (for mplayer)
ogle-gui (for ogle)
firebird-mozilla (for firebird)