PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question on remastering

wanderer
08-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Hi all!

I was able to successfully remaster knoppix 3.1 using the general remastering howto.

2 questions:

1. How do you mount boot.img to be able to edit the script inside it (I was able to use mount -o loop boot.img /mnt/test but I can't edit the script)
2. How can I change the default knoppix logo inside boot.img? How do I make one?

Thank you very much!

arkaine23
08-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I had a little trouble with that too. I wasn;t able to save any changes. then I figured out a way to do it. There's a file inside boot.img called logo.png or maybe it was logo16.png.... which is not used for anything, so cp logo16.png .. (move it up one level). There is 0 free space to work with in boot.img, and that's why you have to do this in order to be able to make any changes.

You should be able to edit boot.msg and syslinux.cfg now.

The logo:

Now you can:
mv your bmp logo into the mounted, decompressed boot.img
name it logo16.bmp

bmptoppm <logo16.bmp >logo16.ppm
ppmtolss16 <logo16.ppm >logo.16

Or if its a png file:
name it logo16.png

pngtoppm <logo16.png >logo16.ppm
ppmtolss16 <logo16.ppm >logo.16

You don't want it to be much bigger than 50kb. It has to be 640x480 or even 640x400, and 16 colors.

rm your logo- logo16.png or logo16.bmp

When done, move the original logo16.png back into the mounted dir where boot.img is. It will not be able to put the whole file in there since you've changed the contents, but will put as much of this file in as will fit in order to fill the space and get back to the boot.img original size.