PDA

View Full Version : automount problems

andrei
08-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Hi,

I want to use the Knoppix CD as a rescue tool for crashed window$ machines, usually older models. I therefore need to use the 'knoppix 2' option at bootup to use the minimum of memory and ressources and boot at runlevel 2 (single user - no GUI). I have only one problem. When knoppix boots-up the automount does not immediately boot up the hard disks. In runlevel five with KDE up and running I only click on "hda1' and the disk is mounted on /mnt. However, it needs this click to happen. Now how do I do this in runlevel 2?!

Interestinlgy (and confusingly) the floppy drive is immediately mounted at runlevel 2. Right after boot-up I just do 'cd /mnt/floppy' and I have access to it all. That does not work with 'cd /mnt/hda1" which exists, but is empty.

Any ideas why?

I really don't like the automount thing anyway (that's about the ONLY thing which does work better with Window$ IMHO). Can I disable it and mount disks manually?

Thanks for any help!

Andrei

rickenbacherus
08-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Can I disable it and mount disks manually?

Thanks for any help!

Andrei

Indeed you can.

mount /dev/hd?? /mountpoint

You can mount a block device to any mount point (as long as said mount point exists of course) Just cd into /mnt and have a look at the mount points automatically created by Knoppix. If you need mount points just make them like so:

mkdir /mnt/hda1

So......assuming the mount point /dev/hda1 exists all you need to do is:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and it will be there.

andrei
08-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Yep!

Works fine. problems solved. thanks!

andrei
08-11-2003, 11:06 PM
while I am on the topic:
do you know what the hardware minima (CD-drive speeds, RAM, proc) are for running knoppix 3.2 on runlevel 2?
thanks!

rickenbacherus
08-11-2003, 11:31 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqGeneral

andrei
08-12-2003, 03:41 AM
thanks. A Linux magazine I recently read wrote that you need a CD-drive faster then 24x but I suppose they were referring to the full KDE runlevel 5. any such limits for runlevel 2?

rickenbacherus
08-12-2003, 04:52 AM
thanks. A Linux magazine I recently read wrote that you need a CD-drive faster then 24x

bah! my 8x runs kde fine.

dm2lin
08-12-2003, 05:01 AM
Can I disable it and mount disks manually?

Thanks for any help!

Andrei

Indeed you can.

mount /dev/hd?? /mountpoint

You can mount a block device to any mount point (as long as said mount point exists of course) Just cd into /mnt and have a look at the mount points automatically created by Knoppix. If you need mount points just make them like so:

mkdir /mnt/hda1

So......assuming the mount point /dev/hda1 exists all you need to do is:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and it will be there.

I'm new to this and have been trying to do this for days. I mounted it like this and it works fine. I saved a link to my desktop and everything was working very well. I rebooted and now it doesn't work anymore without remounting it again. How do I set it to mount automatically?