PDA

View Full Version : knoppix create system recovery CDs?

dnewcomb
08-11-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure if this is possible now, but can you use knoppix to burn a series of CDs to aid in system recovery? The first CD burned would be made bootable and you would keep feeding it CD's until everything on your hard drive was backed up. To restore, boot off of the initial Cd and load in the recovery CDs in sequence. Would this work with part-image and be OS - neutral?

Doug

Stephen
08-11-2003, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure if this is possible now, but can you use knoppix to burn a series of CDs to aid in system recovery? The first CD burned would be made bootable and you would keep feeding it CD's until everything on your hard drive was backed up. To restore, boot off of the initial Cd and load in the recovery CDs in sequence. Would this work with part-image and be OS - neutral?

Doug

This one of the main ideas behind knoppix already from the FAQ General (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqGeneral).

Q: What exactly is Knoppix?

A: KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

dnewcomb
08-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Stephen,
I guess I was not clear in my previous post. I'm looking for the functionality of Mondo Rescue ( http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/ ) under Knoppix to create a restore set of CDs.
I was under the impression that partimage would not span a series of CDs.

Doug

qa1433
08-11-2003, 09:14 PM
good stuf!

aay
08-12-2003, 02:50 AM
Stephen,
I guess I was not clear in my previous post. I'm looking for the functionality of Mondo Rescue ( http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/ ) under Knoppix to create a restore set of CDs.
I was under the impression that partimage would not span a series of CDs.

Doug

Doug,

Mondo is on the CD so you should be able to go ahead with your idea. I'm not sure about the CD spanning limitation of partimage - you'd have to check their website.

dnewcomb
08-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the tip! I found it and will be giving it a workout.

Doug :D

SideWynder
10-31-2003, 08:33 PM
Mondo is on the CD so you should be able to go ahead with your idea. I'm not sure about the CD spanning limitation of partimage - you'd have to check their website.

Thanks for the tip! I found it and will be giving it a workout.
Has anyone had any success using Mondo in Knoppix? When I've tried it, mondoarchive aborts with the message "I think I'm running from a ramdrive, please don't run mondoarchive".

I'm running a dual-boot portable (of course, only one CD drive) and would love to be able to create a backup image on a regular basis.

I attempted to find a solution on the Mondo forums and mailing list. Apparently there is an easy solution, if you're a programmer. Conversations over there indicate that, by removing two lines of code and re-compiling, the abort can be bypassed. For us mere mortals, this option isn't available as Hugo (Mondo's author) will not allow any further detail to be posted on this topic.

In addition, Mondo's authors have a hacked version of partimage that will allow NTFS partitions to be compressed.

Klaus, would you consider including a modified-to-run-from-ramdrive version of Mondo 1.7x (with their partimagehack) on your next release? With the 'toram' option, we could then eject the CD and image /dev/hda to CDR.

Regards,
8) SideWynder

dnewcomb
10-31-2003, 08:51 PM
The mondoarchive software disables itself when running from a ramdrive. From what I understand, the authors have no wish to be sued for aiding in copyright violations. You can alter the source code to work around the limitation, which would involve making a custom version of Knoppix.

dnewcomb