PDA

View Full Version : Printing Error messages

rdorsch
08-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I tried yesterday to install the LinuxTag Knoppix-DVD on a friends computer. I had to read and "set -vx" the knoppix-install script, to understand that the installer checks swap partions and root partions...

I wish you would print out error messages, when the return code of a function is not 0 and the installation process loops...

Another question:

How large should the root partition be for a DVD install?

Thanks,
Rainer

rickenbacherus
08-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Well a DVD holds about 4.4G worth of software so.....that's a good indication of size I'd say. If you boot into GUI and run the script from there you can copy and paste error messages. What you've posted rings no bells with me.

I wonder if it would be possible to send me an .iso of the Linuxtag dvd or let me dl it so I can roast a few copies for those of us not fortunate enough to make it to Linuxtag? Thanks.

fingers99
08-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Oh, please! I know of one UK magazine editor who is desperate for one (so they can distrubute it)!

:shock:

rdorsch
08-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Well a DVD holds about 4.4G worth of software so.....that's a good indication of size I'd say. If you boot into GUI and run the script from there you can copy and paste error messages. What you've posted rings no bells with me.

[...]

You got me wrong....

Pretty much at the beginning in the knoppix install script it says

while ! partions_ok_check; do
partition_hdd
done

(I could point in more detail, if the knoppix_install skript is somewhere on the net).

partions_ok_ckeck basically checks if a swap partition is there, if the root partition was found, and if it is large enough. If it fails, e.g. there is no swap partition, the user is in an infinite loop and does not understand why (except installer broken;-)

Solution:

Print out: "Installation stopped, because there is no swap partition > 128 MB." and user hits ok button.

Tech2k
08-14-2003, 03:56 AM
Quote "(I could point in more detail, if the knoppix_install skript is somewhere on the net)"

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/installer/

:)

rdorsch
08-14-2003, 04:49 PM
In the function main(), there is:

while ! check_partition_ok;
do
menu_part
done

If check_partition_ok fails, the user sees always the menu_part Menu, i.e. the user thinks, the installation loops, i.e. it is broken.

the check_partition_ok function contains e.g.

SWAPPARTS=$(find_swap_partitions)
RC=$?
SWAPPARTS2=$(find_swap_partitions2)
[ $RC -eq 1 ] && return 1 # no, we must partition

I strongly recommend to add a msgbox telling the user why check_partition_ok failed.....then he can (in this example) add swap space in the next partition round and the installation continues...

Thanks,
Rainer