PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to do apt-get upgrade all?

jdong
08-11-2003, 08:44 PM
I just finished a Knoppix HD install. Is it OK update the packages with apt-get? Or will that cause problems? Thanks.

rickenbacherus
08-11-2003, 09:04 PM
You should definitely do apt-get update. That will update the sources list in /etc/apt/sources.list. Realize that this is not the same as apt-get upGRADE. upgrade means- "get the latest packages" and while it's certainly possible it can also cause you a few problems. Check out a how-to on apt-get before proceeding with apt-get upgrade. Open up kpackage and look at what is available for upgrade (indicated by a big 'U') and see if you need to upgrade or not. Unless there is a feature that isn't available in your current version of an application there really isn't any need to upgrade all packages.

jdong
08-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Thank you. I'll do that.

Doc
08-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Any chance of you explaining what dist-upgrade does, please, and how it could cause problems?

Mike (With his Fender :D)

rickenbacherus
08-12-2003, 01:51 AM
Any chance of you explaining what dist-upgrade does, please, and how it could cause problems?

Mike (With his Fender :D)

A dist-upgrade is changing from stable to testing or to unstable. It's just
going to the next level. It's entirely possible to run a complete stable, testing or unstable system. Debian has always made sure that you could rely on stable, testing has always been fine for me and unstable- well I think the name says it all. That's why it takes so long to get packages into stable- they don't put just anything in there. The drawback is that it may take a very long time to get the packages you need/want into stable, so- it is possible to selectively use a mixture of stable, testing and unstable versions. In fact- Knoppix is just that, a mixture of packages.

Here's a thought. If you do this:

apt-get install <packagename> and you have problems thereafter, you more than likely know what the problem is. But if you do this:

apt-get dist-upgrade all you know is that is one or more of several hundreds of packages that you just installed is giving you hell. ;)

Here is an excellent place to learn about apt-get (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638#12439). When you have tools like Kpackage (or my preference Synaptic) it's alot easier but unfortunately not learning the basics about apt-get can get you in a bit of a jamb.

What kind of problems? Just enter apt-get into the search bar above and you'll see. Here's a good example (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180#704)

*pay no attention to the comment about Knoppix and its installer* :)

Sure- you can do a distribution upgrade and yes it will likely work. Personally I would never instruct someone unfamiliar with apt-get to attempt it without at least reading a bit.

caveat: If you do want to do dist-upgrade there's no time like after a fresh install. OF course, if you at least have /home on a seperate partition you can reinstall if you hose things up that badly and not have to retweak everything. Better yet, use a tool like Mondo to make a backup of your drive before doing anything too drastic.

Doc
08-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the info:D