PDA

View Full Version : Adding custom kernel to Knoppix; no lilo menu

averylowiq
08-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi

I am adding a custom kernel to the hard drive install of Knoppix 3.2. I have compiled the kernel, modified the lilo.conf file and ran /sbin/lilo without any errors but at boot time I do not see a lilo menu showing up but instead the system still boots the stock kernel.

Am I missing anything here?

rickenbacherus
08-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Let's see your lilo.conf. Is your new kernel in /boot? What's it called? Did you set a delay in LILO so that you have a moment to choose which kernel you wish to boot?

prompt
timeout=150

What was the ouput of /sbin/lilo?

It is possible to have several kernels to choose from (I do it all the time).

averylowiq
08-12-2003, 04:03 PM
I, quite stupidly, left my linux hard drive at home therefore will be able to reply more intelligently either tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you for your help.

averylowiq
08-13-2003, 03:36 PM
The new kernel is in /boot by the name bzImage.custom. In lilo.conf the delay is set at 50 (5 seconds).

Here is the output of lilo:

Added Linux *
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
Added Custom

which looks like a clean output.

I have had upto 5 custom kernel in other distributions in the lilo.conf succuessfully so this is not something new I am trying.

Today, I accidently hit the Shift key when the system was booting up. It was displaying "LILO 22.5.4" basically just waiting for the 5 seconds to expire... and voilla heres the lilo menu. I tried this a second time and it worked again.

Any more thoughts?