PDA

View Full Version : HD install questions

Slo
08-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Hello,

I am installing Knoppix to HD... My 4 attempts ended in a black screen right after copying files... The first 3 attempts I reset my machine and boot failed on the 4th try when I reset my machine it continued the proccess and went on to the setting up of the rest,smail,etc... There are important pieces missing in this OS install,one major piece being the root console...

I am right now doing my 5th install and notice that there are a slew of "cp: reading /xxx/xxxxx/xxx/xxx Input/Output error"in the proccess...

:?:
Is this normal ???
Do you think I downloaded a bad CD copy ???
Is there a way of fixing this HD install via an update or other means ???

The CD boot into the OS is pretty complete so I am apprehensive on downloading another copy,don't want to do it and just have the same thing happen again...

I will see what this 5th try brings but your experiences on the matter is much appreciated...

Download was from Mirror.Ac.UK (England)...
AMD 1800+, ECS K7S5A M/B, WD 400BB HD,

Thanks,
Slo...

rickenbacherus
08-11-2003, 11:33 PM
You need to check the md5sum of the .iso you dl's first.

md5sum Knoppix.blah.iso

Since you've already burned a cd you can check it like so:

boot: knoppix testcd

Slo
08-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your help...

I burned another copy used knoppix tested at boot nothing happened so I guess it tested OK... Both copies do not give me a root shell...

There is also a prob with sound... I finally got it working with OSS but all the OS sounds do not play... I know the sound is working because Realpayer is working fine...

Your thoughts on a possible cure???

Thanks again,
slo...

rickenbacherus
08-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your help...

I burned another copy used knoppix tested at boot nothing happened so I guess it tested OK... Both copies do not give me a root shell...

tesdtcd should return "Everything looks ok' and then continue to boot. testcd checks all the md5sumd on the cd. A root shell? You don't need one, just open a term and enter

su

and you are root

OR you can do this:

passwd

THen assign root a new password. Then again:

su
<password>
and you are root

There is also a prob with sound... I finally got it working with OSS but all the OS sounds do not play... I know the sound is working because Realpayer is working fine...

Your thoughts on a possible cure???

Thanks again,
slo...

OS sounds- seems like you don't have aRts sound server enabled (but it should be on boot) anyway- look in the control center>Sound and make sure "Start aRts" is checked. If that isn't the problem- what kind of soundcard? Did you do sndconfig to get it working?

Slo
08-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Sorry I did not get back here sooner to thank you for your help rickenbacherus...

My mistake,I was using TESTED instead of TESTCD LOL I should get glasses... When I used the right command "Everything looks Ok" came up...

I know SU will get me to root but it is strange that I can't pull up the root shell...

The sound issue drove me crazy for 2 days... The problem is I have onboard SiS 7012 sound with a Realtek ALC100 chip... DMESG | MORE detects the PCI sound but reports the chip as ALC38... I tried many things to get the sound but none worked so I finally broke down and got a SoundBlaster PCI card and sound is now fully funcional... Knoppix detected it right from the start and loaded the correct module...

Other issues I am having now...

I can not use my CDROM... The CDROM is a new AOpen plug and play... Loading a CD and trying to read it is impossible... Another question is does Knoppix autoplay a CD when loaded???

Problem with detecting a file... When I make a directory in Home and try to execute a command from the shell I get "No such file or directory" if I put the file in Home I then can find it... So it seems I can not make a directory and access it... Can anyone tell me why this happens???

The rest seems fine but the two above issues are pretty important and I need to resolve them... If anyone can clure me in on them I will be greatful...

Thanks.
Slo...

rickenbacherus
08-14-2003, 10:21 PM
I can not use my CDROM... The CDROM is a new AOpen plug and play... Loading a CD and trying to read it is impossible... Another question is does Knoppix autoplay a CD when loaded???

I've never seen it autoplay a cd bfore. I presume that you have managed to get Knoppix installed successfully. Just add yourself to /etc/sudoers and you can issue commands as root without becoming root. You will also need to add your username to /etc/group. Make sure you are included in everything you wish to access. Realize that in Linux, if you use a cdburner you need to use SCSI emulation. This is enabled by default in Knoppix so all cdrom drives will be listed as scsi devices. This is a BIG plus- you can install a new cdrom and you don't need to install a new driver for it!

Do this:

cdrecord -scanbus

this also works:

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

That will show you bus,id,lun of each cdrom drive you have in your system. Kscd (the cdplayer) by default is looking for your music cd's at /dev/cdrom. But- if /dev/cdrom is not pointing to the right device it isn't going to work. Do this:

ls -al /dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom should be a symbolic link to sr0 or scd0. Are you using scd0 or scd1 to play music cd's with? Try XMMS. Right click XMMS>Play Location and enter /dev/scd1 see if that works. If so then you just need to make a symbolic link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd1.

There is more to it but post the output of the commands I have posted first- then I'll explain how to make those links if you like.

Problem with detecting a file... When I make a directory in Home and try to execute a command from the shell I get "No such file or directory" if I put the file in Home I then can find it... So it seems I can not make a directory and access it... Can anyone tell me why this happens???

I'm not sure I follow you- you make a directory (mkdir <blah>) OR are you making a file? Two different things there friend. But I don't see what that has to do with executing a command. If you want to look at the directory you made in /home/username as user, do this:

cd
ls

Then you should see the new directory. Post some more details please and the output of all the commnds I have posted. We'll get you fixed.

Slo
08-15-2003, 02:58 AM
I am not trying to play a music CD... I am trying to open diag with a data CD so I can copy files from CD to puter... Here is the info I gathered...

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'E-IDE CD' '-956E/AKV ' 'R9AS' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
root@Slo:~# ls -al /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 14 22:34 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

I'm not sure I follow you- you make a directory (mkdir ) OR are you making a file? Two different things there friend. But I don't see what that has to do with executing a command. If you want to look at the directory you made in /home/username as user, do this:

cd
ls

Then you should see the new directory. Post some more details please and the output of all the commnds I have posted. We'll get you fixed.

Sorry... from the root file manager i right click>NEW>Directory,in that newly created directory I place a file say I name the new directory "Stuff" ... I now open up shell and cd /stuff and I get "no such file or directory"... When I write ls i get all the files in the root "Home" Directory but NO folders in Home only files...

Slo...

Slo
08-15-2003, 03:27 AM
Ok I did ls command again and this time all the folders showed up... II executed a command on a file within a folder within Home and it worked so it seems that problem is solved :)

Thanks'
Slo...

rickenbacherus
08-15-2003, 04:42 AM
sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom

cd /cdrom
ls

Presuming you do have a mount point named /cdrom that will work. Oh and BTW- in case you were unaware you cannot mount an audio cd as it has no file system on it.

Slo
08-15-2003, 06:31 AM
OK cool...

Thanks for your help...

Slo...