PDA

View Full Version : MythTV or Freevo?

jazzback
08-12-2003, 05:31 AM
This was a Topic on another Linux fourm I thought I would bring it here. Is there any chance to Squezze Mythtv or Freevo in? maybe in another Distrubution?

:wink:

thadk
08-12-2003, 05:47 AM
Heh, I wish. It looks like some projects got started to do it but never took off. It's really a perfect application for the Live CD format AFAICT.

Ghandalfar
08-12-2003, 11:38 AM
if they are apt-getable I can do a remaster for you..

you'll just need to provide a ftp for me to upload to and which applications can I remove to get free disk space.

aay
08-12-2003, 08:56 PM
I spoke to Alex of the Morphix project the other day in irc, and he said that someone is working on a multimedia module for Morphix that incorporates Freevo. Last time I checked it wasn't available yet, but hopefully it will see the light of day sometime soon.

ignuu2
08-15-2003, 11:06 PM
That is a great idea. I would love to have mythtv but when I try to install it the dependencies fail and I can't get it to install.

depends on mythtv-frontend and backend, then when I try to install those they complain some more about libmyth-0.10 and libqt. Anyway I can get around this?

Hopefully someone has the answer.

cheers

Stephen
08-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Hopefully someone has the answer.

here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4124)

ignuu2
08-19-2003, 09:52 PM
it seems that my installaion can't find a library

whenI run mythfrontend I get libmyth-o.12.so.0 cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

however it lives in /usr/local/lib/

what gives. Do I need to be in X to run this?

I can't e in X because I am remastering a cd. Should I try to run a chrooted session in X while remastering? is that possible?

Thanks

ignuu2
08-20-2003, 05:56 PM
After some searching I figured it out. I needed to add the library path to /etc/ld.so.conf and then run ldconfig.

That seemed to fix it.

I now have mythtv installed on a knoppix live cd. It seems to run although I forgot to automate a few things that I will fix the next time I remaster. It was pretty easy following the knoppix remaster howto along with the knoppix mythtv howto listed in the above post.

I have not tested it yet as I don't have a capture card on the pc that I am working on however I will be testing it in a few hours and I will have a report.

Thanks

ignuu2
08-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Hi all. It doesn't work yet. I can start the application and I can get mysql and mythbackend and frontend to run however as soon as I launch the TV app the screen goes black and mythtv crashes. I don't know why yet, but the rest of the system runs. Xawtv works however and I can watch TV through that. I will try and output some logfiles so I can figure out what is going on. Has anyone else tried to make one of these yet?

Later

ignuu2
09-03-2003, 06:58 PM
I managed to fix most of the problems with myth running on cd. It still neeeds a HD to cache stuff but for that I use a samba share on another machine. Turns out that most of my problems were due to my ati-all-in-wonder not being supported by myth. I am using a tv-wonder on a collegues computer to test the setup. Does anyone know of a good cheap usb based solution that is supported by myth? If so maybe I can get that to work. Is anyone interested in helping me out with this? If you have a capture device that is supported by myth I will gladly give out a copy of my iso. You also need to run a script to make myth run.

Anyone have some server space to spare?

Thanks

aay
09-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Well I can't help you out with a card or server space, but I just thought I would point out that someone is currently working on a remastered version of Knoppix with Myth on it. It's already undergone 3 revisions and will apparently now let you run a Myth client from the cd. Check out the following link for more info:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21431&highlight=#21431

Adam

ignuu2
09-04-2003, 03:22 AM
I heard of this, in fact I have a copy. Unfortunately it's not what I'm looking for. I wanted something that would run entierly off the cd and didn't need to rely on another machine. The KnopMyth cd is great but you still need to install mythtv backend and mysql on another machine and set a bunch of stuff up. I want mine to be self contained and idiot proof. Pop in the cd plug in the usb capture device and click go, that sort of thing. I still understand and see the need for knopMyth but it isn't what I am looking for.

aay
09-04-2003, 04:23 AM
I heard of this, in fact I have a copy. Unfortunately it's not what I'm looking for. I wanted something that would run entierly off the cd and didn't need to rely on another machine. The KnopMyth cd is great but you still need to install mythtv backend and mysql on another machine and set a bunch of stuff up. I want mine to be self contained and idiot proof. Pop in the cd plug in the usb capture device and click go, that sort of thing. I still understand and see the need for knopMyth but it isn't what I am looking for.

Ok, sounds good but not too easy though. If you get any ideas about how to do this it might be worth, calaborating with the other. Otherwise, I'd be glad to see you post about your own remaster. Hope it goes well anyway.

jazzback
09-04-2003, 06:12 AM
I am learning off of knoppmyth. I am having trobles with it but all in all it is great. This is the major one I use win tv go, and when i go to watchg tv the system exits to the x window system (terminal and start Myth tv). I guess i should take it to the other form. or read the instructions closer. I am sure there will be others shortly.

Jimmy :D

warlock
09-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Anyone have some server space to spare?

Thanks

Why don't you take advantage of P2P?
You could publish it using eMule or eDonkey and take advantage of the network of file sharers.

ignuu2
09-16-2003, 12:10 AM
That's a good idea. I just got mldonkey setup and I am pretty happy with it. It's kinda slow but I don't know if that is because of the way I set it up, my ISP or simply the nature of the network. As for what I have done so far with mythTVcd it might just be easier to post detailed instructions and have people build there own. I mean I haven't worked that hard on it, and if you can build your own remaster you should be able to get as far as I have. I will try and have something put together soon. Thanks again for all the good sugestions.

Later

warlock
09-26-2003, 03:07 PM
That's a good idea. I just got mldonkey setup and I am pretty happy with it. It's kinda slow but I don't know if that is because of the way I set it up, my ISP or simply the nature of the network. As for what I have done so far with mythTVcd it might just be easier to post detailed instructions and have people build there own. I mean I haven't worked that hard on it, and if you can build your own remaster you should be able to get as far as I have. I will try and have something put together soon. Thanks again for all the good sugestions.

Later

If it is really slow, you may want to make sure that you have opened port TCP 4662 so that you don't get a low_id.

Anyway, if you post the instructions that would be great.

-=Warlock