PDA

View Full Version : /dev/fd0h1440:no such device or address after using the flop

Marduk
08-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Hey, I've got this problem, when I go to format I get the message /dev/fd0h1440:no such device or address whenever I go to format a floppy, to try and make a presistent home.
I used the floppy cheat at start up "floppyconfig" but then it couldn't find a floppy drive :( please help!

Marduk
08-12-2003, 09:03 PM
You can delete this post if you like, sorry for wasting space.

rickenbacherus
08-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Perhaps a better second post would have been how you fixed the problem eh? ;)

Marduk
08-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Oops my bad,
Ok how I fixed the problem well for some reason my stupid XP install seeks the floppy all the time on boot so I totally disabled the floppy from BIOS and therein lied the problem.
But now I've got another problem, whenever I try to retrieve my presistent home from the now enabled floppy which has a previous settings on it, using the "knoppix myconfig=scan" and "knoppix my config=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get some errors saying that it can't find the mount automatically or something of that nature and then retries to no avial. Any ideas?
I did all the steps to get the disk working in linux, I formated it to ext-2 and all that and saved all my settings to it.

thank you for your time.

Stephen
08-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Oops my bad,
Ok how I fixed the problem well for some reason my stupid XP install seeks the floppy all the time on boot so I totally disabled the floppy from BIOS and therein lied the problem.
But now I've got another problem, whenever I try to retrieve my presistent home from the now enabled floppy which has a previous settings on it, using the "knoppix myconfig=scan" and "knoppix my config=/mnt/auto/floppy" I get some errors saying that it can't find the mount automatically or something of that nature and then retries to no avial. Any ideas?
I did all the steps to get the disk working in linux, I formated it to ext-2 and all that and saved all my settings to it.

thank you for your time.

The cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) have changed in recent versions.

Marduk
08-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Thank you :) I appreciate the help, I'm a big time noob I didn't know I also had to use the floppy cheat at the same time, now I do :D thank you!

Marduk
08-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Hmmm I used that cheat code and it still doesn't find my floppy :( please help!

Marduk
08-15-2003, 04:51 AM
Still not working :( it still says it can't find the floppy drive even after the "floppyconfig" and "floppyconf" in at boot :( it always asks to retry and still never finds it! :( please help! Also whats the limitation of what I can save on my ram drive? can I install programs on there?