PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Internet

bach_m
08-13-2003, 03:21 AM
i just DLed and burned a coppy of Knoppix 3.2, (that worked fine: it all runs, etc.) but i can't get on my Home network, and therefor not the Internet. i know i have to setup the network settings, but i dont know how. any one wanna help me?

Stephen
08-13-2003, 03:30 AM
i just DLed and burned a coppy of Knoppix 3.2, (that worked fine: it all runs, etc.) but i can't get on my Home network, and therefor not the Internet. i know i have to setup the network settings, but i dont know how. any one wanna help me?

Open a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) and netcardconfig then enter decline the use DHCP option and enter your settings for the card in the questions it will ask you.

unamiccia
08-13-2003, 03:31 AM
Bach_m:

This forum is really helpful, and you'll get a bunch of good answers -- but you've got to give more information. What do you mean by "I can't get on my home network"? Don't worry about coming up with the fanciest insider lingo -- just tell us specifically what you're going through, and I'll bet you'll get results. Good luck!

Unamiccia

bach_m
08-13-2003, 04:27 AM
i would provide better details, but i dont know what they are. i thried the netcardconfig, and other than the IP Address, shud i leave the other things on what it suggests? where does it get those? and isn't Knoppix supposed to detect my settings/? and can i somehow import the settings from the windows instal on my HD?l??

Stephen
08-13-2003, 05:03 AM
i would provide better details, but i dont know what they are. i thried the netcardconfig, and other than the IP Address, shud i leave the other things on what it suggests? where does it get those? and isn't Knoppix supposed to detect my settings/? and can i somehow import the settings from the windows instal on my HD?l??

Go into windows and if you are running win98 the command would be winipcfg in the run dialog and I think it is just ipconfig for xp copy the settings down and use them for netcardconfig. The minimum settings you will need are your IP address, netmask, gateway and the nameserver address you got from your ISP.

bach_m
08-13-2003, 05:34 AM
I DID IT!!!! i looked at my network settings in XP, and realized i didn't have my DNS (which i know figure is my name nerver) so i put that in./ and now i'm running the internet on Knoppix. :D:D how do i make a settings disk?[/b]

Stephen
08-13-2003, 06:15 AM
You would go to the Knoppix menu and use the save configuration to floppy see the cheat codes (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) for the proper one to use for booting with the CD to use your saved configuration.