PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.2 Newbie Questions

digitaldeity
08-13-2003, 08:10 AM
I got Knoppix 3.2 and I loved it! So I copied it to my hard drive so I can boot off it and so that it would go alot faster! I also got win XP on there to! Now I have two cd drives on for dvd and one for cd burning, it detected my burner but not my dvd drive??? How can I get it to detect my dvd drive? I also am still on a...56k...And I can't get it to detect that either! I have a Compaq Data Fax Modem. There seems to be no way I can connect to the internet!...Except restarting and going onto XP. I have also downloaded wine 3 for games. But the packenger thingy that comes with knoppix says that it cant install for some reason...The text is all funny lookin so it hard to read...I also have a few other programs that I got that I want to install also so is there a EASY way I can install stuff??? Also is there a way for me to run my e-mail program Juno on knoppix? I really need my e-mail! If I can get that program to work I will ditch windows once and for ALL!!! ^_^ I also have a thumbdrive...how do i get that to work with knoppix? The main thing I really need to figure out is how to install ANYTHING with ease...I really need all these questions answered in stupid people terms! I need to be spoon fed! : ) Please help! remember! Stupid people terms!!!Thanks!!!

Dave_Bechtel
08-13-2003, 10:20 AM
--A note of caution, in advance: Knoppix may not meet your needs. For some people it's indispensable (like me), for some people it's nice to play around with but may not really be necessary.

--Linux generally will not work with Winmodems; you might want to look into getting an external (connects to serial port) 56K; your connect speeds will likely improve as well.

--I once saw something about hacking the Juno protocol for Linux, but it's probably beyond both of our skillsets (involved sniffing the wire during the signon process because the Juno mainframe expects a different username.) Look around your area for a cheap ISP, sometimes you can get them for $9.99 a month. You can still read your email over a regular Net connection by going to www.juno.com and clicking "check your email."

I got Knoppix 3.2 and I loved it! So I copied it to my hard drive so I can boot off it and so that it would go alot faster! I also got win XP on there to! Now I have two cd drives on for dvd and one for cd burning, it detected my burner but not my dvd drive??? How can I get it to detect my dvd drive? I also am still on a...56k...And I can't get it to detect that either! I have a Compaq Data Fax Modem. There seems to be no way I can connect to the internet!...Except restarting and going onto XP. I have also downloaded wine 3 for games. But the packenger thingy that comes with knoppix says that it cant install for some reason...The text is all funny lookin so it hard to read...I also have a few other programs that I got that I want to install also so is there a EASY way I can install stuff??? Also is there a way for me to run my e-mail program Juno on knoppix? I really need my e-mail! If I can get that program to work I will ditch windows once and for ALL!!! ^_^ I also have a thumbdrive...how do i get that to work with knoppix? The main thing I really need to figure out is how to install ANYTHING with ease...I really need all these questions answered in stupid people terms! I need to be spoon fed! : ) Please help! remember! Stupid people terms!!!Thanks!!!

kaplanfx
08-13-2003, 08:21 PM
--I once saw something about hacking the Juno protocol for Linux, but it's probably beyond both of our skillsets (involved sniffing the wire during the signon process because the Juno mainframe expects a different username.) Look around your area for a cheap ISP, sometimes you can get them for $9.99 a month. You can still read your email over a regular Net connection by going to www.juno.com and clicking "check your email."

no need to hack anymore, take a read: http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/12/0059215

-Kaplanfx

digitaldeity
08-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Well Juno is not my biggest concern I REALLY need to know how to install stuff like REALLY badly!!! Once I can install stuff I should be fine for awhile :D ! PLEASE HELP!!! :roll: I need to know how to install stuff STEP BY STEP! I need someone to hold my hand! :lol: I need to be spoon Fed!!! :wink: OK THANKS ALOT!!!

Dave_Bechtel
08-13-2003, 11:09 PM
--BTW, your thumbdrive should be seen as either /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda.

--Define "stuff" ;-) You generally won't be able to install anything besides Knoppix itself unless you have a working Net connection. Also, you were vague about copying Knoppix to your HD. If you used the poor man's install (c:\knoppix\knoppix) then you need to go back and do the knx-hdinstall, and that involves repartitioning your HD - or getting a 2ndary drive. Poor man's install won't let you update the software because everything is still read-only, and compressed.

Well Juno is not my biggest concern I REALLY need to know how to install stuff like REALLY badly!!! Once I can install stuff I should be fine for awhile :D ! PLEASE HELP!!! :roll: I need to know how to install stuff STEP BY STEP! I need someone to hold my hand! :lol: I need to be spoon Fed!!! :wink: OK THANKS ALOT!!!

digitaldeity
08-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Stuff is WineX and some games that I downloaded. I didn't do a poor mans install I dis knx-hdinstall and had my HD partitions for Knoppix and Windows. I get errors when I try to install WineX it says it needs to be in like the right directory...something like that...I also am having problems with my screen resolution...It keeps going to 1880x1440 and my monitor is not suppose to go that high! My momitors highest is 1600x1200 and I have tried setting it to 1024x768 and it says that the changes have been saved ( Great! ) now I have tried restarting and logging off and it does not change the resolution the only way I can seem to do it is open that arcade game chronimum and change the screen size there then exit the game. That seems to work but then the refresh rate it REALLY low and it hurts my eyes! It worked before at 1024x768! And it started up that way! I was happy...now its 1880x1440 :cry: How do I fix that!!! Do I have to uninstall the verison of Wine thats already on there before I can install WineX? If so how do i do that??? :?: THANKS!!! :D

j.drake
08-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Doesn't it work to boot into Windows safe mode and change the resolution there, and then reboot?

Incidentally, do you need to change the display driver you use for Linux? (I don't know what I'm talking about here, but it seems to me that the correct driver for your video card and monitor should cap the available resolutions).