PDA

View Full Version : use persistent home off sda4(usb), dcopserver does not start

gnomeboy
08-13-2003, 09:50 AM
everything works fine with no configuration, or with myconfig from floppy, but when using a persistent home off of my USB thumbdrive, it doesn't appear to run dcopserver during the initialization of KDE. after failing with a notice that dcop isn't/hasn't started, i'm still able to switch to a different virtual terminal (f2 in this case), run 'dcopserver', cd to /etc and rm the kde lock files, then run startx and get a sucessful kde session going. (problem solved, but ugly)

i have read rumor on the net that dcopsever may not be in the PATH, and therefore unable to run, but i check /etc/bashrc from a normal (no config) install of knoppix and found the net-reccomended directory in the path, and i also copied this path variable to my /mnt/knoppix.img/.bashrc (i mounted my usb persistant home image so i could manipulate it). even with these correct path's, still it fails to run dcopserver. and the next place i checked was the xsession script in /etc/init.d/ , thinking maybe this script is different if run from a persistant home, but i found that it is not a symlink to my persistant home, its symlinked to the knoppix image (static between ramdisk home and persistent home)

next step/ideas/tests?

~Eric Betts

gnomeboy
08-14-2003, 04:47 AM
update: still not perfect, but no more error.

i decided to do the easy thing and delete my old knoppix.img and create a new persistant home (:( buh-bye bookmarks) but i restarted and found that the knoppix* background was no more (also some different toolbar stuff). this was a mistake on my part. reloaded without home and saved my config files and i now have the knoppix* background.

now is there anyway to combine these concepts (myconfig & home) so i can have my configuration options sought from the home directory?

~Eric Betts