PDA

View Full Version : starting linuxrc and init

thomas
01-18-2003, 11:45 AM
Hi Folks,
I try to build my own Knoppix based CD. For this I try to build my own initrd.
Ok my first problem was that the kernel didn't start my linuxrc. I found the reason. If the
root-Filesystem (root= parameter from syslinux) is the same as ram0 (in my case the initrd-fs) the kernel didn't execute linuxrc and step over to execute init.
(this is in do_mounts.c in function "void prepare_namespace(void)" - Linux 2.4.20)

Ok.. I that this is no problem. I will pass no root boot option (or a wrong) and I'll set this in linuxrc but... in this case the kernel stops because he couldn't load modules and other messages (depending with root-option you give)

My question: Do you know how knoppix handle this issue?

Thanks,
Thomas

eadz
01-18-2003, 11:57 AM
You are probally best to start off by remastering before trying to build one from scratch.
see http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

also you may be interested to see how to replace the kernel :
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomKernelHowto

01-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi eadz,

thx for posting a reply. I read the both Webpages, but they didn't cover my questions.

It would be cool if someone has an idea how to solve this prob. 8)

Thanks,
Thomas

Alextreme
01-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Hi Folks,
I try to build my own Knoppix based CD. For this I try to build my own initrd.
Ok my first problem was that the kernel didn't start my linuxrc. I found the reason. If the
root-Filesystem (root= parameter from syslinux) is the same as ram0 (in my case the initrd-fs) the kernel didn't execute linuxrc and step over to execute init.
(this is in do_mounts.c in function "void prepare_namespace(void)" - Linux 2.4.20)

Ok.. I that this is no problem. I will pass no root boot option (or a wrong) and I'll set this in linuxrc but... in this case the kernel stops because he couldn't load modules and other messages (depending with root-option you give)

Okay, i'll give it a shot. If i understand correctly, you are trying to boot your initrd filesystem with the root= option. However, to load a filesystem into ram to boot with (as root), you need the initrd= kerneloption instead. Then, linuxrc should be executed like usual.

Hope this helps,