PDA

View Full Version : Error: only one processor found

jhweeks
08-13-2003, 03:51 PM
:?: I get this message when I boot with anything other than failsafe. I've tried all the relevant cheatcodes - noeverything for hardware ect. Can anyone tell me what it is complaining about?

I have a P4 system on a Soyo Dragon motherboard, 512M ram, Turtlebeach sound card and a bunch of IDE drives with NTFS filesystems.

Thanks.

Edwin
08-13-2003, 04:59 PM
Have you tried the cheatcode ' nosmp' ?

jhweeks
08-13-2003, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I have (I'm at work now) if it's listed on the cheatsheat. I'll try it again anyway when I giet back.

Thanks.

jhweeks
08-14-2003, 12:55 AM
nosmp worked! It makes sense, but it wasn't on the cheatsheat I had printed for reference. I am much puzzled as to why Knoppix would have thought there should have been multiple processors present in the first place, but I can certainly live with this.

Thanks Ediwn!

Edwin
08-14-2003, 01:23 AM
Well, sometimes software just does not make sense. I got the same error on a P4 system, ignored it, but the CD booted and everything worked. After doing the HD-install the message disapeared. Later I learned about this cheatcode. But booting the same CD on a Celeron 700 Mz produced no such error and worked perfectly also.

Go figure,

- - Edwin

Pixelman
08-14-2003, 02:54 AM
This is because you must have a reasonably new P4 system that has Intel's Hyperthreading functions on it. This hardware feature causes the single CPU to function as if it is a dual processor machine (symetrical multiple processor) and if the software both OS and Apps support it they work faster. This is only on P4s with 800Mhz FSB or P4 with FSB of 533Mhz over 3.0Ghz, that is why the celeron does not show the same problem.

Regards
Pete

cynicalbastard
09-28-2003, 11:57 PM
This is because you must have a reasonably new P4 system that has Intel's Hyperthreading functions on it. This hardware feature causes the single CPU to function as if it is a dual processor machine (symetrical multiple processor) and if the software both OS and Apps support it they work faster. This is only on P4s with 800Mhz FSB or P4 with FSB of 533Mhz over 3.0Ghz, that is why the celeron does not show the same problem.

Regards
Pete

I just got this error on a Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro with Athlon XP 2000+.

pjflathead
10-02-2003, 08:37 PM
same for me. AMD 1800+ on a K7S5A motherboard. :(
I also have the problem that the system insists on installing scsi for
accessing the cd-rom and then loses contact with that cdrom.
But I'll try the nosmp code as well as the noscsi cheat codes.
------------------------
it's just a few minutes later. Now we're talking Linux.

Works like a charm, even the usb mouse does work now.

boot: knoppix nosmp noscsi
:D

A. Jorge Garcia
10-02-2003, 08:52 PM
I used to tried nosmp, but then my internet access went away...

I just ignore this error and have no problems!

Regards,

fingers99
10-02-2003, 10:33 PM
I just ignore this error and have no problems!

Me too! Athlon 2000 :wink: Come to think of it, I got the same error on a 333 Cyrix.