PDA

View Full Version : Orinoco + Knoppix help

Fluffy
08-13-2003, 04:36 PM
I need a little help with my Knoppix set up. I'm running v3.2 on a Dell Inspiron 3500 and an Orinoco Gold 802.11b card. There is no onboard NIC the wifi card is the only network card.

I keep reading how this card should work perfect with Knoppix, but I'm having some problems. When I type "iwpriv etho" to try and put the card in monitor mode I get the message "eth0 no private ioctls". Does anyone know what this means? Is there anything special I need to do to configure the card? I've done some searching and none of the solutions I found worked. Any help would be appreciated.

I would eventually like to get Kismet working too.

averylowiq
08-14-2003, 06:25 PM
I spent a couple of hours Orinoco fiddling with Orinoco Gold as well but couldn't get anywhere. I also have a LinkSys WPC11 (won't recommend it to anyone though) and I thought I would give it a try. After like 20 minutes I got the LinkSys to work with 128-bit encryption and both with SMC and Belkin routers. An lsmod showed it to be loaded as an Orinoco though even though its a Prism I chipset.

Here is what I used:

ifconfig $1 up
iwconfig $1 essid "home"
iwconfig $1 mode managed
iwconfig $1 enc restricted xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xx
/etc/init.d/networking restart

I made a small script file and supplied either eth0 or eth1 as my network interface number (whichever corresponds to your wireless network card). Of course, you will need root privileges to run these commands.

After this you can use ifconfig and iwconfig to check the connection, also try pinging some known IP address.

I hope this helps.