PDA

View Full Version : USB Drives for Persistent Home: Recommendations?

unamiccia
08-13-2003, 10:03 PM
I've been thinking about getting a little USB "keychain" drive to carry files to school and, of course, to use as a Persistent Home location for Knoppix. I searched Google for information about these, but there was a lot more noise than signal. Can anyone recommend sites that introduce the various options and rate what's available in each category? Do you have recommendations of your own?

If I take the plunge I'll be replacing a Zip disk. How much faster and more satisfying would a USB drive be?

Unamiccia

teeitup
08-14-2003, 05:44 AM
The USB devices made by PNY work great.

The packageing even says support for the Linux 2.4 kernel or higher.

I bought one and use as a Persistent home device.
Works perfectly.

Good Luck,

arkaine23
08-14-2003, 06:32 AM
yeah, look for the drive to say it supports linux. I'm using a 64mb AVB pen drive.

aroszkowski
08-14-2003, 10:14 AM
How can I make mu USB flash drive my permanent home on 3.2 version?
It is explained for 3.1 but not for 3.2
Anybody would give me advice, please.
My USB drive is recognised as sdb1 and I can write to it using:
# mount -o remount, rw /mnt/sdb1
but I do not know how to make it a permanent home.
Please send me a e-mail:
aroszkowski@yahoo.com
Thank you for your help.

JohnH
08-15-2003, 02:29 PM
> How can I make mu USB flash drive my permanent home on 3.2 version?

Click on the "Start" menu, oops, I mean the "K" icon at the lower left, and select the KNOPPIX item, then Configure should lead you to a menu that allows you to make a permanent home directory. Apparently you can either use an ext2 partition or use (a container file within (?)) a FAT partition — the program will ask you which partition and format you want. I tried to use a FAT partition last night and got an error and gave up. Possibly because it was a FAT16 partition and shoulda been FAT32. Or maybe the partition was poorly located or sized. Or whatever; it was very late and my memory is fuzzy.

Tip: if you have a bunch of disks and Windows(tm) partitions, you might consider creating a directory in each partition to indicate the letter you use for that drive. E.g., for drive F, I create a directory "0-DRIVE-F" so that if I click on that device from KNOPPIX I can see it's my drive F. There's nothing in the directory, btw, but I use a directory since they get listed first. The leading 0 ensures the directory name is at or near the top of the list of files.