PDA

View Full Version : Fix MBR on thumb drive

Wingman0
08-13-2003, 11:46 PM
this is my problem i tryed to partition a thumb drive with windows disk manager i messed up the MBR so i tryed the recovery console FIXMBR didn't work to no suprise. Is there a Way to fix the mbr in knoppix. Because windows Sucks.

Thanks,
Wingman0

garyng
08-14-2003, 02:54 AM
is the MBR on thumb drive the same as it is on harddisk ? I always thought that they are very different as some of them have security feature(as a boot device) which makes me think that they must be special.

Wingman0
08-14-2003, 06:27 PM
its the same? this thumb drive dosen't have a lock

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 10:28 PM
--I use a CF card with a Dazzle USB reader/writer. I tried partitioning the card with Linux but it screwed up the filesystem in Windoze. Dazzle provides some software to "reset" / reformat the CF card, so I used that. (This is all in Win98 BTW.)

--Go to the mfr's site and see if they have any utility software. If they don't (you should always try the "native" windoze solutions 1st) you can try the 'install-mbr' prog in Linux.

' man install-mbr '

--What I ended up doing is having a loopback file on the drive for native-linux filesystem (ext2.)

After you get it fixed:
' cd /mnt/flash ' (or wherever it is)
' dd if=/dev/zero of=blahblahsisboombah.mnt bs=1M count=50 ' == Create 50 meg file
' mke2fs -m1 blahblahsisboombah.mnt '

' mkdir /mnt/blah ' == Create a mount point for the loopback

' mount /mnt/flash/blahblahsisboombah.mnt /mnt/blah -oloop,noatime '

Here's what my CF looks like:

fdisk -l /dev/sde

Disk /dev/sde: 8 heads, 32 sectors, 490 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 256 * 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sde1 1 490 62704 6 FAT16

--Sample Entries for /etc/fstab:

/dev/sde1 /mnt/flash auto defaults,auto,noatime,user,suid,exec,rw 0 0
/mnt/flash/usrlocalbin.mnt /mnt/usrlocalbin auto defaults,loop,auto,noatime,user,suid,exec,rw 0 0

--If you leave the drive partitioned, Windoze may not like it.

this is my problem i tryed to partition a thumb drive with windows disk manager i messed up the MBR so i tryed the recovery console FIXMBR didn't work to no suprise. Is there a Way to fix the mbr in knoppix. Because windows Sucks.

Thanks,
Wingman0