PDA

View Full Version : Messed up windows, need Knoppix to recover.

OziD
08-14-2003, 05:48 AM
Yeah I know this has been asked a million times, but I just don't understand it. I am a Windows guy. These kernel's and root's and mounting and unmounting confuses the hell out of me.

Long story short, I made a typo in my boot.ini file and I Window's won't start. I have the backup boot.ini file (named boot.txt right now). I need to remove the boot.ini file and rename boot.txt to boot.ini. I know there is a filesystem conflict (I am using XP), and I've read of people getting around it.

I am not worried about ruining the filesystem, because this is a last resort. Recover didn't work for me because I do not know the Admin password. (I didn't create it, and it's not blank. I tried every password i have ever used, didn't work) So if I skrew up the filesystem, I will reformat. If no one helps me with this, I will reformat. My chance of winning is slim.

Marduk
08-14-2003, 08:09 AM
I don't know how much this might help you, but it worth a look, apparently windows passwords aren't brick walls.
I hope this help :http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1045170553

andrei
08-15-2003, 10:03 PM
ok. I am a little confused by what exactly you are trying to achieve here. First, I think I remember that XP runs on the NTFS filesystem. If so, you should not be able to write on it with Knoppix (I think there is an unsafe hack which makes this possible, but I don't know it). If you just want to only access your data and copy it, Knoppix will do this with no problem. You can copy it to a floppy or a CD with a burner. Does this answer your question?

Lotmr
08-16-2003, 07:20 AM
If you dont care about a short error message when you start up XP just deleat boot.ini i accedently did this during adding a pic to my boot. XP works around and boots without it.