PDA

View Full Version : Sad to say...

merlin
01-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Sad to say this, but...

After many hours of fiddling, twiddling, tweaking and so on, I am finding that Knoppix will not work the way I need it to.

For example, it will not recognize my monitor correctly. No amount of command-line syntax helps -- not xvrefresh=75, not fb1280x1024. I get far too much screen flicker, which is maddening!

And if I simply use screen=1280x1024, the fonts are unreadable.

It works okay if I can live with 1024x768, but why should I?

Also, it will not recognize my zipdrive, thus leaving me unable to copy tt fonts from windoze, nor able to save my work in convenient fashion.

And finally, it will not recognize my lan.

Sad to say, but Win 2000 does all the above perfectly -- no endless fiddling necessary. Correct monitor resolution and refresh rate. Zipdrive and lan work exactly as they should.

I wish things were otherwise, as with many issues in life. I really wanted Linux to work, to replace M$, but such is not to be -- at least, not yet.

Thanks to those who offered help and encouragement.

All the best... merlin

Dave_Bechtel
01-19-2003, 06:23 AM
--Have you gotten other linux distros to do these things?

Sad to say this, but...

After many hours of fiddling, twiddling, tweaking and so on, I am finding that Knoppix will not work the way I need it to.

For example, it will not recognize my monitor correctly. No amount of command-line syntax helps -- not xvrefresh=75, not fb1280x1024. I get far too much screen flicker, which is maddening!

And if I simply use screen=1280x1024, the fonts are unreadable.

It works okay if I can live with 1024x768, but why should I?

Also, it will not recognize my zipdrive, thus leaving me unable to copy tt fonts from windoze, nor able to save my work in convenient fashion.

And finally, it will not recognize my lan.

Sad to say, but Win 2000 does all the above perfectly -- no endless fiddling necessary. Correct monitor resolution and refresh rate. Zipdrive and lan work exactly as they should.

I wish things were otherwise, as with many issues in life. I really wanted Linux to work, to replace M$, but such is not to be -- at least, not yet.

Thanks to those who offered help and encouragement.

All the best... merlin