PDA

View Full Version : my 2 cents. openwebmail

ignuu2
08-14-2003, 10:22 PM
I just recomplied a version of knoppix with postfix and openwebmail. I set it up behind my router and I can send and receive email from a live cd. It's pretty cool but not yet perfect. I want to figure out persistant homes and intergrate spam detection filtering, and a virus scanner for microsoft viruses. That would be cool. Once I have that set up I will have a real tool for easy deployment of open source mail solution. No maitenance just hit reset once in a while.

If anyone is interested in helping me figure this stuff out I would love the help. I am ready to intergrate spam detection and antivirus but I have no idea how to go about it. I guess I have allot of reading to do.

Thanks

ignuu2
08-20-2003, 06:27 PM
I setup an openwebmail/postfix system that runs off the cd in apache-ssl. The only problem now is populating my setup. So far only the user knoppix can access any mail but I would like to have many mail boxes. Ideally this could be dome without having to add them as local users. Anychance I could configure postfix to have virtual mailboxes, maybe even with small quota that would live on a hd that users could access and store mail on. I envision and this as an emergency cd. A mail server goes down grab a machine boot the cd and give it the old mail server's ip so you can contimue to send an receive mail while you repaire your main server. Or even if someone needs a cheap fast mail solution.

Anyone know how to configure postfix to have users that are not local user?

Thanks

wik
08-22-2003, 03:27 PM
I setup an openwebmail/postfix system that runs off the cd in apache-ssl. The only problem now is populating my setup. So far only the user knoppix can access any mail but I would like to have many mail boxes. Ideally this could be dome without having to add them as local users. Anychance I could configure postfix to have virtual mailboxes, maybe even with small quota that would live on a hd that users could access and store mail on. I envision and this as an emergency cd. A mail server goes down grab a machine boot the cd and give it the old mail server's ip so you can contimue to send an receive mail while you repaire your main server. Or even if someone needs a cheap fast mail solution.

Anyone know how to configure postfix to have users that are not local user?

Thanks

There are a couple ways to handle that - The easiest off the top of my head involves using minstall - I have the source, so if you want, I can help compile / make the ISO.

Cheers,

-wik

ignuu2
08-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the reply but I have no idea what minstal is so alittle push in the right direction, ie a howto, would be greatly appreciated.

Later

wik
08-23-2003, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the reply but I have no idea what minstal is so alittle push in the right direction, ie a howto, would be greatly appreciated.

Later

Oops :oops: - I assumed the fork of Mepis was widely known on the Knoppix forum.
minstall is the kewl installer of Mepis.org - a lot easier than the install scripts of regular Knoppix for newbies or lazy folks (me). It's source code was finally posted (it's GPL), and Ralf Nolden of KDevelop fame already has a group of folks rewriting it for use with Woody. Mepis is going to a closed source version of the installer and other pieces next release.

It's at http://www.mepis.org/downloads/minstall.tgz - that might disapeer, so let me know if it does, and I'll post a mirror.

Anyhoo, the idea was to do a simple disk install, and then you could add users to your hearts content - I know that breaks the CD only idea.

Another is to possiby use LDAP, and write that to the disk.

I can host a mirror of the iso if you want, and download exactly what you have to poke around with it.

Also, you might check out Eagle Linux, as I believe someone has made a mail server CD there too.

HTH,

-wik