PDA

View Full Version : Let's try this again..

lando1030
08-15-2003, 04:11 AM
Trying to use the FTP server functions of Knoppix. Using a router running NAT, and I need to set the FTP server to passively listen to my WAN IP. Can someone please point me in the right direction in order to go about doing so?? thanks

Dave_Bechtel
08-16-2003, 02:08 AM
--I dunno much of anything about NAT, but have you tried setting eth0 to promiscuous mode? ' ifconfig eth0 promisc '

--Also some more info about which FTP server you are using would help, as well as who your router mfr is. (I don't anticipate me being able to help much more than this, but prolly somebody else can jump in.)

--If you are looking at a lot of outside anonymous connections, you really need to consider using the most secure ftp daemon out there, which currently AFAIK is vsftpd. But that's just my $2.02. (I switched from proftpd to vsftpd, and only allow registered users with /home accounts to log in on my sys - no anonymous access.)

Trying to use the FTP server functions of Knoppix. Using a router running NAT, and I need to set the FTP server to passively listen to my WAN IP. Can someone please point me in the right direction in order to go about doing so?? thanks

lando1030
08-16-2003, 02:41 AM
Well at least you responded, lol:

-Promiscuous mode does what exactly?? No i haven't tried.

--I am using the default the FTP server functions that come with the Knoppix CD ISO. The router is a Siemens Speedstream.

--I am not looking at any anonymous connections. Just about 4-5 for my friends.

They way I have it set on my Win box,using BPFTP Server, is that Win box has a LAN IP. BPFTP server operates on that LAN IP but has a setting that allows it to listen "passively" to my WAN IP on a specified port. I'm trying to get the default FTP server in Knoppix to do the same. It is working fine within my LAN, but no so with outside connections. Hope that explains it in somewhat greater detail.

Dave_Bechtel
08-18-2003, 04:39 AM
--You shouldn't go about bumping the topic w/o posting something like "tried the suggested fix, and it still isn't working."

--I repeat: Did you put your eth0 in promiscuous mode and see if outside connections worked? I gave you the command to do so on Friday.

Well at least you responded, lol:

-Promiscuous mode does what exactly?? No i haven't tried.

--I am using the default the FTP server functions that come with the Knoppix CD ISO. The router is a Siemens Speedstream.

--I am not looking at any anonymous connections. Just about 4-5 for my friends.

They way I have it set on my Win box,using BPFTP Server, is that Win box has a LAN IP. BPFTP server operates on that LAN IP but has a setting that allows it to listen "passively" to my WAN IP on a specified port. I'm trying to get the default FTP server in Knoppix to do the same. It is working fine within my LAN, but no so with outside connections. Hope that explains it in somewhat greater detail.

lando1030
08-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Well me bumping the topic would logically tell you I tried and it did not work, otherwise there would not have been a reason to bump it.

Dave_Bechtel
08-19-2003, 06:43 AM
--I'm not a mind reader pal, and nobody's payin' me any money to try and help you. Unless you post specifically that you tried something and it didn't work, nobody knows whether you tried what was suggested or not. Work with me here.

--Anyway, I found these on google:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2002-January/msg01565.html

http://www.cyber.com.au/cyber/product/ipfilter/mail_list/1997-02/msg00027.html

http://www.linux.ie/old-list/50471.html

--Basically it says to set up "passive" ftp on both the client and server (altho setting the option on just the client may work.) You may want to try other ftp servers like proftpd or vsftpd, that allow you more control over the FTP server in the config file.

--It would be interesting to see what happens if you have more than 1 FTP server behind the NAT; I wonder if it would automatically do round-robin connections.

--Here's the longer detailed explanation:
http://www.ncftpd.com/ncftpd/doc/misc/ftp_and_firewalls.html

Well me bumping the topic would logically tell you I tried and it did not work, otherwise there would not have been a reason to bump it.

lando1030
08-20-2003, 04:07 AM
I'm not a mind reader pal, and nobody's payin' me any money to try and help you. Unless you post specifically that you tried something and it didn't work, nobody knows whether you tried what was suggested or not. Work with me here

True you aren't being paid, which is why you shouldn't be trying to blast someone for bumping a topic. And as I stated b4, logic would tell you that a bump was done to get more feedback.

As far as the links & passive mode, they basically tell you that you need to use passive mode, which I already knew. The mystery is the commands(if any exist) to enable passive mode on the default FTP server in Knoppix.

I thought about using other Linux based FTP servers, but that would require a harddrive install of Knoppix, no? If so, that is not truly what I desire. I like the idea of running off the CD only. I have found some commands that I will try. If they don't work, I'll just scrap the idea & move back to the Windows based FTP server which I know works.

--It would be interesting to see what happens if you have more than 1 FTP server behind the NAT; I wonder if it would automatically do round-robin connections.

No it would not, provided one confiured the router correctly. You would simply configure the router to accept connections on specified ports & then route those ports to the appropiate IP address. EX: 3 FTP servers behind NAT, you configure the router to route all incoming TCP traffic on port 2600 to FTP server A. FTP server A then would be configured to passively listen to the WAN IP on port 2600 only. Repeat for all FTP servers changing the port #s appropiately. 2625->Server B and 2650->Server C.