PDA

View Full Version : Remaster boots but fails with fsck.ext error ??

pbk105
08-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi,

I remastered Knoppix using the Knoppix Remastering Howto. The process appeared to go well with no errors. However, when I boot the CD, Knoppix begins to run but fails:

Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...Done.
Starting init process.
INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
Running from HD, checking filesystem
Activating swap...
Checking root filesystem...
fsck 1.34-WIP (21-May-2003)
fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /
/:

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem... etc, etc.

Changes to my remaster: I only removed packages I didn't want.

Questions:
1) Should Knoppix be trying to run from my harddrive?
2) Even so... Since my hardrive is ext3 should it be using fsck.ext2?
3) How can I fix this so that Knoppix boots as it does on the stock iso.

BTW - I am working from the 7-26 release.

Basically I want Knoppix to run just like the stock distro with less packages. I don't want to use one of the existing remasters because I'd really like to learn to do this for myself. Anyone have some advice on where I went wrong?

One last thing...
The Knoppix Remastering Howto was very straightforward until I got to:
"first do some cleanup : remove .bash_history files, tmp files etc"
Although I am familiar with Linux enough to install and use it, I am not familiar enough to know what tmp files to remove and what files to consider as etcetera. Would someone be so kind as to clarify this a bit?

Thanks in advance,

--Paul

pbk105
08-21-2003, 02:44 PM
For sake of completeness I guess I'll respond to myself. I think I at least have some of the answer. I was booting knoppix from CD as the instructions say but I was doing so on a machine that also had KNOPPIX installed to the hard drive. Apparently, something in the remaster process picks up that fact and inorporates its awareness of the hard drive install into the remaster. Unfortunately I have no idea what it might be picking up (having not yet read the remaster from hd instructions). So, I wiped all the drives in the machine so that the only OS was the Knoppix CD and remastered. This time it worked.

I deleted the bash_history file from /root and deleted everything under the tmp directories including sub directories. Still don't know what files would fall under the etcetera category but then apparently neither do any of you. If someone does, please take the time to respond to maybe help other remastering noobs like me.

Hope this helps some others.